Catfish Jugging - KDWP answers

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KS_coyotee, Oct 8, 2007.

1. KS_coyotee

KS_coyotee New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I finally, received written response from KDWP today regarding catfishing jugging in KS. Here is what was their response:

Jug fishing is not legal in Kansas. Have a nice day.
    Tonya Hoeme
    Fisheries & Wildlife Division
    620-672-0797
    tonyah@wp.state.ks.us

I bet she has an attitude!

NOW, here is the verbal response I received from KDWP - wichita regional office (1-316-683-8069) when I spoke with a conservation officer named Hastings.

Is Catfish jugging legal in KS? NO, --- but read on

However, what they are saying is illegal is using a jug (whatever size, type, color) with a line attached but not anchored.

That is the key. Don't call them catfish jugs. THEY are setlines. They cannot have more than 2 hooks attached to the line and they must be ANCHORED. Anchored means attached to some object (i.e., tree) on shore, anchored with a weight in the water, or anchored to a tree out in the water. They cannot free float. You must also have your name and address located on them. Also, no more than eight (8) setlines per person and two rod/reel combo (unless paying the extra fee for the third line). Reality is that you are jug fishing, however, you are anchoring them. Makes my day, now I can proceed with buidling my setlines. Also, the size, shape and color of the bobber (jug) is not an issue in KS except that the material that was inside cannot have been hazardous.

2. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I sent two emails about jug lines and never have gotten a reply.

3. KS_coyotee

KS_coyotee New Member

State:
    Kansas
    koakley,

its not a bad answer. besides, I may be wrong, but don't most gamefish swim into shallow waters during the evening/nighttime hours to feed? So, having them attached to shore wouldn't be a problem. Also, if you know your depth you could use an anchor to keep it from moving all over. So, in my opinion, I don't see it as a bad thing. I wouldn't want my equipment moving all over the reservior and having someone else claim them or take the fish.

Also, check the regulations on which locations where setlines can be placed. Officer Hastings, said that setlines on state lakes would not be allowed.

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Sounds to me that Trot-lines are what ya need, there anchored and have no jug. They are also hard to find If ya don't know where they are:wink:. You don't have to worry about someone checking them for ya. That is if there legal there.:wink:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have sometimes wondered what possessed a fisher person from Kansas to buy an annual Oklahoma out of state fishing license. The more I hear you guys from Kansas talk about your fishing regulations/restrictions, the closer I come to understanding. It is just my opinion, but Kansas is sure behind the 8 ball in a lot of ways.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yep we cant have jug lines in kansas.you wouldnt want to anyhows any way people would just steal them from you anyways.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in Arkansas there is one set of regs for freefloating jugs, but anchored jugs are considered to be trotlines, and fall under the regs for trotlines. The definition is something like this:

Trotline: A line with multiple hooks anchored or tied at one or both ends.

Since an anchored jug is anchored at one end, it is simply a vertical trotline.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Now Lawrence---We're not so backward. Why just a couple years ago they started letting us buy a permit for a third rod. Some folks say we may even get evolution.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, you guys just come on down. We don't have cats like the Mississippi or Ohio, and other rivers back east, but I'll share whatever we do have. LOL

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Buying a license for a third line is a rip off. Why do they limit you to two lines in the first place?? Below dams where it is crowded and swift water I can see limiting rods.
    Same as usual if you have the cash anything is possible.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    We can fish 7 poles in Oklahoma. The most I've put out at one time is six... and that is overkill when I stop to realize I don't keep fish, I don't eat fish, and I think fish stink... but there is nothing like catching them. LOL And Jerry, if you read that article again... all the fish were caught on the Texas side of the lake... know why? It's cause everything in Texas is bigger. ROTFLMAO.

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    lived here all my life and only fished w/2, seem i've done pretty good. of course i bought the three permit, but if they are biting, 2 is enough. i wish there was a stricter limit on the size of fish caught on lines, i watch people just ravage flatheads with no concearn for the future.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, we all know that catfish can be attracted by chumming, so it's just a matter of what type of 'chum' to attract the big ones to the OK side of the lake. Let's see....blue cats often stay in schools....and I KNOW those Texans teach reading in schools, so those big cats MUST be able to read, right? All you need to do to 'chum' them over to the OK side is to put up some signs that read 'TEXAS' so the cats will think that is the Texas side of the lake. :cross: