Catfish John's Live Bait Holder

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by catfishjohn, Mar 3, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Catfish John's Live Bait Holder

This is one of the easiest and most simple live bait holders you can make. Everything can be adjusted to fit your own needs. This is the size I've built because I can get a few out of each roll of hardware cloth. They work great. I made and used one last year that was a lot bigger and it worked really well. It's good for most any type of bait also. You can use them from bank or boat, it doesn't matter. If anybody reads this and makes one, I'd love to see it. You all probably have some ideas to improve my idea!

Materials-

[​IMG]

1 roll of 1/2" mesh hardware cloth(roll I bought was 10'-approx. $8-9)

Needle nose pliars

Side cutters

Cable ties/wire/string or whatever you decide to hold it together with.

Rope-Again,whatever size/amount you want to use.This is just to tie on the pen and let out in the water.

Tape measure(don't need one if you use the 1/2" mesh-every 2 squares = 1")

Marker

Sizes of cut hardware cloth you'll need-

Cut off a full piece thats 25 1/4" long.(the extra quarter inch lets you use a whole square) = 50 squares

[​IMG]

Cut off 10" (20 squares) and cut that in half(you should have 2 pieces 10"x12").These 2 pieces will be the end pieces.

Directions to put it together-

Start off by taking the 25" piece and make it into a circle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll use a cable tie on the top,middle and bottom to hold it together. This will be a diameter of approximately 8".

[​IMG]

Lay one of the end pieces on top/bottom and use the marker to mark what needs to be trimmed. Use cable ties and secure it in about 4 places. Repeat for the other end.

[​IMG]

Now that you have a tube thats about 8" diameter and 24" long(approx), go ahead and finish securing it together with whatever you decide to use.

[​IMG]

For the door,you all may want to adjust the size to fit your hands/bait. I usually cut a 4" square toward one end making sure to leave a couple inches for stability. I then will use another piece off the roll for a door thats approx. 1" larger than the piece I cut out. You don't want the door to fall in. I use either a cable tie or a piece of wire for the hinges. You can use a piece of wire to latch the door or get a minnow trap clip and they work well. Now, just tie a 10-20' piece of rope to the pen, put your bait in it and put it in the water.

[​IMG]

Notes-

This size diameter will fit in a 5 gallon bucket to transport to and from the water. Its taller but thats so I can put more bait in it. This way,If you use live bait, you will save $ on 'D' batteries. You can use garbage bag twist ties when you start making it, just put a couple here and there and if you need to make an adjustment,just take it off and make the adjustment. I've never tried this but it seems like you could also use this to chum an area. They are very cheap and easy to make.I have less than $10 in 2-3 of them.It just depends on the size of them.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They also make excellent "catch"baskets in areas where Turtles will eat your fish in mesh baskets or on stringers.I still love the time my fishing buddy pulled the stringer into the boat with out looking.It had a water snake attached to one fish as it was in the process of swallowing it.I instantly had the boat all to myself UNTIL I threw the snake back into the water.He was even quicker getting back in."Back in the boat" shorten to "Bakinboat" (baa-kin-boat) was his nick-name from then on until the day he died.Anyone new was urged to ask him about his name and how he got it.Thanks again.I love you Brother.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee