Catfish Jerky

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LouisianaFishNut, Dec 30, 2008.

1. LouisianaFishNut

LouisianaFishNut New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello everybody! Hope you had a good Christmas and will have a safe New Year!

My sister asked me today if I'd ever heard of Catfish jerky. Apparently she's had it once and liked it, and wants to find a recipe. If anyone out there has one and would send me a private message about it, I'd appreciate it. I'd say post it here, but I may never find the same forum again where I posted this question!! :roll_eyes:
    Thanks a bunch!
    LAFishNut

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott Welcome to the Brotherhood.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont know how to post a link,But there are also some catfish jerky recipes in the BOC DINER,Look in the MEMBER COOKBOOK. Welcome to the BOC,You'll find a wealth of info and a bunch of great folks here.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I made two attempts to send a PM, but neither one seemed to go through. So, I'm putting a copy here.
    Making catfish jerky is very similar to making venison or beef jerky, and you can even use the same marinade. I generally start out with soy sauce, but occasionally I'll use teriyaki sauce. I add chopped onion & garlic, some pepper, and whatever other spices sound good at the time. If I'm making it in the oven, I add some Liquid Smoke. Slice the fillets into 1/4" thick pieces and put them and the marinade into a ziplock bag; refrigerate 12-24 hours. As in making venison jerky, it's important to keep the temperature no hotter than 140 degrees; any hotter, and you're not smoking it, you're cooking it. There's nothing wrong with hot smoking, but you don't end up with jerky; you end up with cooked, smokey tasting fish. Properly prepared jerky (fish or venison) will last well over 6 months without refrigeration; just put it in a ziploc bag and hide it, or it won't have a chance of lasting that long.

6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    PM catfish fever for an awesome catfish jerky recipe