Catfish iowa state fish????

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by rippinlips, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    MuscatineJournal.com > News

Casting call ... and the star could be the channel catfish; Reichert backs effort to designate a state fish

By Chris Steinbach of the Muscatine Journal

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font sizeMUSCATINE, Iowa — This fish story is true.

Izaak Walton League of America members in Iowa have been trying for decades to have the channel catfish designated as the official state fish. And for the third consecutive year, Rep. Nathan Reichert, D-Muscatine, has taken the bait.

Reichert filed a resolution earlier in the week in the Iowa House to make channel catfish the state fish. In the resolution, he calls the fish, which can be found statewide, the “most preferred fish among Iowa anglers.”

“It’s long been one of those fish that, especially those of us along the Mississippi River, know,” Reichert said Friday. “It’s a fish that means a lot to a lot of folks.”
    The channel catfish, otherwise known as Ictalurus punctatus, is silver or gray and marked with dark spots. It can reach lengths of 20 inches by 10 years of age, according to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

An angler from Earlham, Iowa, caught the state record channel catfish — which weighed 36 pounds, 8 ounces — in 1993 on the Middle Raccoon River in Dallas County.

Reichert said it’s time for a state fish because Iowa already has an official state:

n Bird (the Eastern Goldfinch)

n Tree (Oak)

n Rock (Geode)

Previous attempts in the Iowa Legislature to name an official state fish have been unsuccessful. There have been concerns in the past among some legislative leaders that the effort would not be taken seriously, Reichert said.

He said there should be time to discuss the idea during the session, along with addressing the economic challenges and other issues facing state leaders.

“Sometimes it’s nice to talk about positive things like going fishing or hunting,” Reichert said.

Reporter contact information

Chris Steinbach: 563-262-0535

chris.steinbach@muscatinejournal.com.

2. the watcher

the watcher New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i think the channel would be a great state fish i fish the wapsi allot and boy there are alot of um if you have a potition or somthin ill sign :roll_eyes:

3. Don1

Don1 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like the idea I will look up and call my representative,at the state level you would be suprised at the attention they take to just a few phone calls,plus its not a issue they have to sweat about if they made the right call or not.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey guys
    Lets get behind this and do a little pushin.
    I'll see if I can get a list of legislators and their emails and post them.

Have a good one
    just

5. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    OK
    the list is too big to post them all so here is where you can find your state legislators email
    http://www.legis.state.ia.us/aspx/Legislatorinfo.aspx

There is info there to help find yours if you don't know his/her name.
    Remember to pick from both house and senate.

have a good one
    just

6. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
  7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Even though the channel is more prevelant the fish is da flatthead...Iowa has some monsters in the Skunk-coon-wapsi-Dessi....oh and sipp too...:wink:

8. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I just read a big write up the other day that said they named the Channel cat the state fish? It was on another site ill have to look at it. Maybe i read it wrong.