Catfish in the Mississippi River?

Discussion in 'WISCONSIN RIVER TALK' started by ckruger1005, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ckruger1005

ckruger1005 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I live in Sparta and fish alot on the mississippi river. Just got into catfishing last year and had a little success. Anybody catch any big cats in the area?? I fish mostly within a few miles of the dresbach dam, above or below.

2. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have fished the Goose Island Campground area, with some good luck. I caught some nice size channel cats, right by the boat launch. I also used a boat and fished some of the cutbanks. Even I never caught any Flatheads in this area, I know that they are there. I will be traveling and fishing that area again in Late may. Hoping to get some the spawn action. I was using Doc's Blood Bait for the Channel cats, and cut bait for the Flatheads. Since I did not catch any Flatheads with cutbait, I would fish with either live bluegill or suckers. Cutbait seems to work the best either early or late summer, and live bait mid-summer.

3. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    My son and I fish the Goose Island area quite a bit as well as pool 5 near Alma. If you're looking for flatheads, the best baits we've found are bluegills and rock bass. We found that 6-7 1/2 inchers work well. My son has been doing this for 3 years. The biggest he's caught in the G.I. area is 34#. I just got into catfishing this past July and am looking forward to open water again this spring. Good luck......... Maybe see you out there.

4. 50 Pounder

50 Pounder New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    wgwgwrgwrgwrgwrgwrgwgwr

5. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    catch a little bit of everything in mississippi need to use catfish specific bait to catch catfish.