Catfish in the cast net

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by blindfly69, Jul 12, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    wow lol well i went to go get some shad but i just didnt see em jumpin like i used to out there so after sittin out there awhile i figure why not just throw it once blindly lol well on the pull back in i figure man my net is really fighting me..well i got the net up with no shad but it had to be the second biggest channel cat of the entire year that i've seen so far lol. i put the cat back and went home shadless

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    That happens a lot, at least catching everything but the shad. I usually end up catching bass or stripe that are chaseing the shad. At least you caught a cat.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That sounds like my luck,at least you caught a cat.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i always get bass and yellow bellys in my net.

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yea, I caught a big old 5# carp. My wife about fell out of the boat laughing. He did a lot of damage to my net. How did your net hold up?

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my net was on its last legs anyway lol there we're so many holes in it and all the mono lines have been replaced at sometime or another so i threw it away. i just got me a brand new one though so no worries

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I am waiting for the day that i catch a big ol snake in my net...LMAO

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol depending on how much i liked the net i might just leave it there and come back for it in about an hour or two lol.......most snakes dont bother me at all but sometimes i cant stand em

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    How big a net to you guys use & how long did it take you to learn to use it?

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've seen a paddlefish caught in a castnet that was pretty funny.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    right now im throwin a ten footer...actually lol it only took me a night to learn how to throw it ......but i've improved on it over time

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mine is an eight footer (Dia). I have a new 10 foot one but I don't want to get a hole in it. Ohio only allows up to 10' diameter. Took a little while to learn, my brother in law is a pro at it and helped me a lot.

13. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    mine came with really good instructions and after about 6 tries i got it to open all the way.....im pretty good at throwin a net for as long as i've had one

14. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    10' really? I was talking to a guy at wal-mart and he said that a 3 - 6' was as big as you would want to go. I thought 3' was a bit small. Maybe ok for learning on though.

15. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah lol 3-6 is all you need but for some reason.....i cant just let stuff be...so after i got the hang of a 3 and a 5 i bought a 10.....lol.....i wish i knew why

16. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've only caught myself a few times. Still haven't got the hang of a cast net yet. And yeah I've read the threads and library...I think my castnet casting bone is broken. If I come to the gathering...I will be taking lessons from all.

17. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol i had sooooo many welts from not throwing the net right and getting hit by the weights....but those days are over....for the most part

18. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Stand to reason that you could catch more bait in a larger net.

19. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I just use a 9 foot and make sure you read the box carefully. Some are measured by diameter and some by radius (so a 3 foot would actually be a 6 foot). i've never seen a 3 foot diamete but plenty of 3 foot radius nets.

also, i've caught some large spoonbill outa the ohio river in mine. One night i caught a nice gar, a 4-5 pound spoonbill, a snapping turtle, and a little 3-4 pound flathead-all in about 10 minutes time. the thing i hate more than anything to catch in a net is little channel cats. those little fins get so tangled up, i hate just ripping them out of it so i always spend 10-15 minutes sitting in the boat untangling them.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's really a pain when you catch a bunch of tiny channel cats in your net, I have caught 20 or so at a time only 4 or 5 inches long, talk about hard to get out.