Catfish in Rivers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by NODAKCARPER, May 6, 2006.

1. NODAKCARPER

NODAKCARPER New Member

State:
    NORTH DAKOTA
    The only access I have to fish on the Missouri River (relatively strong current) is on a stretch of river where a friend of mine has as small boat dock.
    If I fish such a location am I wasting my time>? Should I chum afew days in advance? Should I fish upstream or downstream form the dock?

2. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    welcome to the boc , all the above ,any place can be good , just look arround for current breaks, structure, like trees, logs humps channels the dock ect ull do fine.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Steve and welcome to the B.O.C. I fish the missouri river to, but down in Iowa and your right the current is swift depending on if we have any rain or if they are running alot of water through the dams upriver.As mentioned above look for the current seams and for any logs or rock piles jutting out into the river from the bank.I dont know if the river up in north Dakota is as channelized as it is down river but if it has wing dikes in it thats a good place to place a bait or two at the head of the wing dike, I have fished the impoundments in so. Dakota and the have some nice catfish in them so im sure you wont be wasting your time. I like to use live bait big bluegills or shad which I use a cast net to catch or a 6in.carp or better or fresh cut bait of the same. I use bait casting reels aub garcia 6500c3 or larger and ugly stick tiger rods or st.croix berklek big game line 30# 40# and number 06 or larger kahley hooks depending on the size of the bait im useing. good luck I hope this helps and good fishing and keep us posted on your progress. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile: I almost forgot use a 3oz. to 6oz. no roll sinker to keep your bait in place on a three way rig or a slip sinker rig.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    WELCOME!!

You will never know if a place is good until you fish it a FEW TIMES.

One trip is not a fair assesment of a location because many things can affect the bite.

Chumming is ok, but it will attract more small fish than large ones, and you may be be stuck fishing with the same thing you chummed with to get them to bite

5. NODAKCARPER

NODAKCARPER New Member

State:
    NORTH DAKOTA
    NO wing dykes but plenty of channels because of sandbars created courtesy of the Army Corps of Engineers lowering the levels for downstream navigation.

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC Steve!!!!

7. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Welcome aboard, sounds like you have the same issue I do. My biggest problem is that it's a fairly deep section of the river and I can't tell where the structure is.

Do what I do, just fish around, you'll find em.