Catfish in New York City - Anyone fishing?

Discussion in 'NEW YORK RIVER TALK' started by NYRiverRat, Feb 22, 2006.

1. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    Hey, I'm new to the boards and i was wondering if anyone has any info on fishing for cats in the state of NY. I fish the Hudson mostly for cats, but was looking for other opportunities across the state. thanks J

2. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    The southern part of Lake Champlain is good. You can get fish from 2 lbs. to around 20lbs.

3. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I live in Albany and fish the Hudson River with good success for cats and strippers. They seem to run small but a cat is a cat. I like stink bait from Dick's and also nightcrawlers and pickled herring and livers. There are some lakes upstate that have some decent cats as well but I have not fished them, other than Lake Champlain which I have not had much luck with. They are there however, as I have seen guys coming in with cats in the 15 - 20 lb class. One guy I know says his biggest is 38 lbs which is not bad for the cold waters we have here in the north. He claims another guy got a 40 pound'er or so from the same waters. I can not find a lot of guys up this way that fish cats so I usually have to go alone with my boat. I plan to head back down to Santee-Cooper again this year around the end of April. My second year doing so.

4. Handliner

Handliner New Member

State:
    New York
    I live near the Hudson and people have gotten some monsters, but Lake Champlain is good