Catfish in low waters

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Nov 20, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    hey everyone! im goin fishin in a pond that isnt that deep but there is alot of moss on the bottom of the pond so i gusse i cant fish on the bottom with out getting weeds and moss on my bait??? so i was jw if anyone knows how i sould fish this pond ?? i cought A 7 POUNDER ON A SPINNER BAIT ( blue fox #2) but its been cloudy lately so the sun isnt hitin the spinners so how sould i fish this pond?? THANKS SOOOOO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!

2. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    can someone please help me with this ????

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep. Sure can. Either use a regular bobber, or a slip bubber depending on depth. All else (bait,hook) remains the same.

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I read that spinnerbaits work better on cloudy days so keep using it. And I was also gonna suggest using a bobber for bottom fishing. Though I have not tried that method yet it seems like it would do the trick.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    there's another trick i learned that works when usin some big old nightcrawlers. I used it out west when fishin for trout in later summer/early fall when there was a lot of algae/vegetation on the bottom.
    You need a needle(hypodermic) and after you hook your nightcrawler on the the hook, you inject air into the nightcrawler. when you cast out the worm will float.
    you can put your weight on at whatever distance below the worm. If you want the worm to float 18" off the bottom then put your weight 18" below the worm and so on.

cyas
    rc

6. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    if using a carolina rig, a cigar peg float can work. I've seen them used on drop shot set-ups as well. In shallow water, if you want, you can literally fish close to the surface while the weight is sitting on the bottom which helps on windy days. When I use them, I have about two or three feet of leader line and then place the float about 4 to 6 inches from the hook. The nice thing about it is it is easy to adjust the float from one cast to the next depending on your situation.
    Not only when bottom growth/brush is an issue, I commonly use this when drifting because it helps prevent getting hung up.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I used to fish a little pond in an apartmen complex that was very shallow and mossy, probaby didn't get much deeper then 10 feet but there were some nice channels and some giant snapping turtles in there. What we used to do was go out early in the day or in the evening and use little hot dogs on a 3/0 kahle hook about 2 feet under a bobber and just wing them out around the fountains in there and sometimes near the cattails in this little cove. I remember somebody catching a 19lber out of there doing this and the biggest I ever got was like 8-9lbs and also some sizeable snapping turtles.

8. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    The pic in my profile was caught using the above hotdog method, minus a bobber, just cast out with a sinker. Be careful casting a hotdog on a J hook, it's more of a lob and the ponds I mainly fish are just like you describe. Cats have no problem smelling food placed on top of an algea mat. Good luck.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Eric,
    I am in Fresno brother:smile2: I fish several pounds like you describe and have good luck useing what my dad taught me. I use a simple 2 or 3 hook surf leader with bell sinker on the bottom. Every 12 inch or so is a hook. I will use one pole like this tomorrow. Will put a shad, liver and clam.:wink: A slip bobber will work too. Let us know how you do.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Another method I have used. I fish with chicken liver under a weighted slip bobber. A couple of diferences though, no weight on the line and no stop knot for the bobber. The ckicken liver will rest on top of the mossy bottom. The slip bobber will actually help hold the line up, taking off some of the weight and not allowing it to settle down.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I agree with robb. Using a weight on the bottom and hooks above the weight dropper loop style would be the ticket. Also the moss and the Algea is where mnost of the food is, so keep in mind that the cats will be close to that looking for food.Fishing drooper loop is a good way to keep the bait out of the mess and for cats to see.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would use a slip bobber rig!

13. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I'd just throw some liver out on a carolina rig w/o bobber. They'll find it. If no luck go home. LOL Na, if no luck try a bobber, but I'd think they'd smell it even in the moss.

14. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Any information on fishing techniquest on a VERY low Lake Tawakoni would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!