Catfish in Captivity

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by s_man, Feb 6, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just read that "splash" the record blue has died in its tank after two years. Was wondering if she might have lived longer if she had been set free or was she just an old fish and it was her time. I tend to think living in the tank shortened her life. I tried early in my aquarium career to keep small channels in a 55gal tank but none survived more than a couple months so I stopped. I've kept bluegills and bass for years then released them when they got large no problem. So whats the deal has anyone kept catfish in a tank for very long, Or are they just not suited to aquarium life?

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I need to find the newest link about Splash. The reason she died was that she was moved to a smaller tank and that put too much stress on her. Bad thing is, the last big cat they had died the same way.
    Will

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I don't like the idea of takeing these record fish out of there home waters and putting them in a fish tank. They always evently end up dead now why not release the after you take the pictures, weigh and messure them so that they will live another day and be able to spawn. :0a24:

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I dont have the details of splash at hand but typically most large aquariums all have large cats in them and as hardy as cats tend to be, Im sure they do ok in these tanks as long as the water quality, habitat, lack of competition and food sorces are there.

While I do not totally agree with putting a record fish into these tanks that was caught fair and square, if Icaught that foish, I would be hard pressed to let it go, so the next best thing would be to get her weighed and tehn put into a aquarium for all to see. If its truly a record fish, there eggs are not the healthiest at that ripe old age and what can be learned by observation and educational purposes might far outweigh that fish going back to the open water to die the next day to no ones benefit. Do I agree that the right way to go, not neccesarily. Just making an observation as I wouldnt know what I would do if I did catch a record fish until it happened and under what circumstances. I think we all fit into that arena.

I do know that when Bass pro here in Cinci opened, ODNR went out to catch as many different species locally that they could for the display. I even pointed them to a few spots to find a pike but they couldnt ever get one.

5 Minutes of watching kids and grown men slobber watching these fish in these tanks will tell you its very educational and good for the public.
    Just my. o2

I once had a channel grow from 3" to about 17" in a 50 gallon tank and I let him go because I couldnt afford to feed him:crying:

Salmonid

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    there is only one reason why these fish are in tanks and that reason is

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

well thats three reasons, it is sad,sad,sad.

Danny

6. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    your right DANNY it's all for money they should be released:thumbsup:

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Trying to duplicate mother nature is a pretty big undertaking, and even more so for a fish that big! There is alot less room for error in a tank and over time the odds are more against you!

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    release the fish and let them live they life in their home waters. I have a 75 gallon fish tank which i have 2 catfish in. A male blue channel and a female. Which both came from Jack's Aquarium. I will keep the fish in the tank until they get around 20 inches long then i release them in a pond here by my house. There is currently about a 7 pound albino channel cat that is swimming around that i released last summer

9. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I agree with everyone, release these record cats!

But as for cats in captivity, my cousin and I caught 4 really tiny channel cats in a dip net once while fishing for crappie & pike, and he decided to keep the little cats and put them in his brand new 55 gallon tank that was empty.
    So he brought them home and they are still alive to this day!

We caught these cats back in 1999, although they didn't get that big, probably because of their living quaters, they still ended up staying alive and he feeds them minnows, worms, liver etc...

I think that the reason they lived is because they we so young and they adapted to being in capativity, where as it would put wy to much stress on the older cats.

10. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I started the CPR thread and as soon as it came up I saw this thread. Glad to see the discussion covering the thought of letting these large fish return to their natural environment. My wife bought a 1 1/2inch albino catfish(I'm unsure of the Species) about 4 yrs ago while getting gold fish and some others. She put it in(75 gallon aquarium) with the rest of the fish where it adapted well where it lived for 2yrs & grew to 13 inches. We fed it regularly and on a couple occasions my son would be allowed to catch it with an earthworm on the tip of a 2-piece rod. This was all entertaining to say the least. My son and I were away one Saturday night catfishing the James River below Richmond,VA. On my return home on Sunday I was informed she put it in the little pond(1ft deep X 5ft circle) in the back yard Sat evening. It was dead on the ground when we got home Sunday afternoon. I was truly hurt as I have watched it hide in structure only to attack smaller fish with astonishing speed for such confined space. As for the situation with Splash, that was a shame for sure. I was talking with my fishing partner about it when he said MONEY changes everything. I guess we don't any know what we would do in the same situation. I do however, hope that I'm put in that position some day. Till then, and later for now---jonnycat