catfish ID

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tofish, Mar 25, 2008.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    not sure where to post, so doing here. another site i'm on is having a discusion over a picture. whether it's a channel cat or flathead. i know it's a channel, but need to know a url to send people to look themselves at the difference. can someone help me out please? i used to have one, but last time the computer crashed, lost it.
    gary

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    thanks brandon, exactly what i needed to show them.
    gary

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    tell em to look at the lower jaw too. a flathead has an underbite. channel has overbite. and tails are way different. flatheads are flat channels are forked.

5. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have another question. Is there any way to sex a catfish? With it being spring I would rather not keep females that are full of eggs? Just wondered if anyone had an idea.

Thanks.

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    maybe its a hybrid here in kansas in the sand pits channels and flaties have been known to interbreed

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 50 Pounder [​IMG]
    The way to sex a Flat is to look at the "Vents" a male will have 2 holes and a female will have 3 but unless you've done this a lot it's still hard to tell sometimes.

As for the Channels, the male is not the always with the large head i've sexed some that had this look to them a found that they were in fact females.

From another brother.:wink: