Catfish huntin in small waters

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bradsc, Oct 5, 2007.

1. bradsc

bradsc New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    ive been fishing a small farm pond the last couple months and caught several @ 12lb and lost one double that using nightcrawlers. well i recently purchased a cast net and the bluegill are plentiful at night time . I was hopeing to get some suggestions on how to bait them. I mostly always fish at night from the bank w/the nightcrawlers on bottom. THe big one i lost bit on a plastic worm w/some scent on it, thats what give me the idea of trying some bluegill since they are so plentiful at this pond

2. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you should tottly use bluegill but frist what kind ok catfish are you talking about i guess chanel so heres what to do
    1. get blugill about hand size
    2.cut blugill up use head and sides for bait
    3.cast out at defferent depths
    4>wait for the hit
    5.set hook reel in and use cpr cacth photo relase hope this helps
    ohh btw if there flat heads putt hook though the blugills dorsal cast out keep it live and wait till those cats eat it any more question you know who to go too:wink:

3. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Any way you want to bait it up will work just fine. For channel cats that size I'd probably use a piece of bait about the size of my thumb, and make sure plenty of hook is showing

Some people scale them and use fillet strips. Some people just cut cross sections leaving the backbone and ribcage in. Doesn't really matter a whole lot in my opinion. DEFINITELY use the head

I'd start out fishing it on the bottom. Cork fishing at night can be a little aggrevating if you can't see your cork. Let us know how you do

4. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    btw you can do what ever with the tail but of all parts of a blugill THE HEAD IS THE BEST it bleeds the most has alot of scent and so on and so forth

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Brad,I agree with everything Chris and Ed said,and If Bluegills are plentiful like you said. The big boys in the pond are already eating them and on the prawl to eat more.

6. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    btw pop pop welcome to the BOC

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like alot of great advice Brad. You should always be able to find an answer to most questions here on the BOC. Welcome and dont forget to send us a report. Good luck.

8. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    am i crazy for thinking that it cant be channels he is catching in a farm pond!

9. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

Channels are by far the most common catfish in farm ponds, almost all farm ponds have channel cats. i have 25+ pounders in my parents pond

10. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

If im fishing a farm pond that is loaded with gill i use them for bait every time for all species of fish, but if its a small pond and casting out a mile is not a concern i use no weights on my line just cut a 3-5 inch gill in have use head portion first just put it on a 5-7 ot circle hook and let her fly, just leaave the bail open on your real and watch the line when it takes off count to 5 and wind down on her, i dont use weights cause cats in ponds tend to stay off the bottom a little more. The bait with out weights will fall about 1ft per 5 seconds so it leaves a hell of a BLOOD TRAIL on the way down as aposed to sinking like a rock to a most likly mucky bottom (which does not dispurse scent) very well at all, lots of times the bait will not even make it to the bottom before its eaten. i use this technique alot even in lakes when the weather permits, lots of wind and current its not the best rig but farm ponds eith little to no breeze its the best way ive found to catch cats...good luck and let the bigguns go!!!