Catfish Hooks- Red Eagle Claws

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 12, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lost another good blue dang.

2. jwasted

jwasted New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have never used those hooks do they bend or break?

3. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    they seem not to hook in good

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Haven't used those, but have some small red hooks when I couldn't find the right size in regular color. It seems to me that the stuff the use to color the hooks dulls the hook points. Can't see paying extra for color when the thing is going to mostly hidden by the bait anyway.

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree these bhooks are kinda small to i couldnt get the larger ones our walmart was out. also the red weres off fast its like there to round on bottom . im going back to the kahle style next time our the vmc circle they seem to hook em every time long as you let the fish run and just real in

6. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have tried the red ones, but for the price, I like the kahle hooks better, I am using a 6/0 and have caught fgish 12 inches long up to 35 pounds. I used to use the circle hooks, but they always seem to hook them in the eye, and made it really hard to release fish.

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I bought 3 packages of them through Catfish Connection and I really like them.

If your covering the hook up with the bait you are not using the Circle hooks correctly you need to have that hook point exposed also check to make sure there are no scales on it and the gap must be open.

I have found that the reason for a lost of a fish once it is on is usually due to slack in the line. If you are having trouble with this go to a more limber rod.

If your are hooking fish thought the eye you need to go to a slightly smaller hook so the gap wont span the distance from the eye socket to the mouth.

Just my opinion but if used properly the circle hook is one of the best things to happen to our sport in years.

8. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    joesf thanks how do you gap them?

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    The gap is set by the size of the hook

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I use them in size 2/0 for channel cat fishing... never have many missed fish because of them... sound like you buried the hook back in the bait (probably accidentally) or something... don't know what it could have been but they work... may also want to upsize them a bit

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    could be ,happins alot with the paticuler style. im thinking i need a bigger hook there like4/0. wish i knew how to gap them. hate to throw theme out i got like maybe 40 left, out of a 50 pack. there not the khale style . there kinda round on bottom. thnks

12. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    not taking any chances ,you watch and listen and most of the guys in here that are known for catching giants are using Kahle Hooks . I personally think each hook needs to be sharpened a little but the hook up percention are very good.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Lots Of People Tend To Under Estimate What Size Of Bait/Hook A Fish Can Really Get In Their Mouths.

We Were Fishing Last Weekend On The River Using Juglines With 7/0 Circles. One Of My Friends Who Has Never Done That Before Asked Me, "What Are We Trying To Catch, Sharks ?". I Laughed & Said, "You Will Be Suprised What We Catch, Just Wait & See.

We Wound Up Catching 8 Channels, All "Eater" Size, 1 To 2 Lbs. They Were All Hooked Thru The Lips Except For One That Was Gut Hooked !!. Man-OH-Man Was He Suprised.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like the eagle claw hooks but it seems to me if you don't sharpen them before you use them they can give you a little trouble. I sharpen almost all of my hooks befor and while using them so this is not a problem for me.

15. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i think that there great hooks. everyone has there favorite when it comes to fishing

16. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    im probley going to buy some khale style eagle claws thanks yall for all the good advice.