Catfish hooks - How Sharp Is Sharp Enough?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Katmandeux, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's quite possible to build a sharper hook...think of the needles used to give shots...but they would prolly be good for one fish, and then be junk.

Engineering/design is all about compromise, so my question is, "Who does it best?" All premium hooks are pretty sharp out of the box, but which ones are still sharp 25 fish later?

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I can guarantee that gamakatsu hooks will be as sharp as they were when you pulled them out of the pk after 63 channel cats, and if you counted the rest of the channels I caught on the hook that year I would say 100's..They are the sharpest hook out of the pk you can find and IMHO the strongest too..

Oh,,My wife just reminded me that she still has the same gamakatsu #3 octopus hook on her pole that she started with and that was 4yrs ago and it will still stick you quick.:eek:oooh:.LOL. That surprised me..Thats a testimony right their..:cool2: I cannot tell you how many fish she has caught on the rod..Out-fish's me every time we go :smile2::smile2:

But I just purchased some sickles and done a little comparison test in the thread below.and have to say that they are a nice hook and sharp too. I don't know how long it will stay that way, but I will soon sure enough.:wink: catching 100's of channels early in the year is how my brothers and I fill the freezer for the yr. It will let me know how they stand up to the task at hand.Then its HOG Hunting the rest of the yr.

When I hold the sickles eye and apply pressure on the inside of the barb the shank flex's/ opens a little, which the Gama's will not do.

I'll use the sickles on the channels.When it comes to abuse of BIG cat fishing, and being used faithfully by my family for over 10yrs, I'll have to use the 50 Gama's I have in my bag before I get to them #7's though:cool2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used Gamma and Owner hooks for years mainly for the reason of your question.They are sharp out of the box and stay that way for a long time. I have been reading a lot of positive review on the sickles and plan on comparing them.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Gammas hands down,like flamekeeper said those things stay sharp along time,well as long as you dont keep hanging it up on rocks and logs:wink:

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Who cares How long they stay sharp when you have a hook hone in your tackle box? I sharpen mine often...

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gamakatsu,and Matzuo Both the sharpest I've ever had,They both stay that way a loooong time too.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I did, too, back BC (Before Circles).

Circles are harder to touch up...not impossible, but it is awkward.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep , and as soon as you start sharpening them with the hone,the quicker they will dull and so on..I have a nice little sharpener, pencil type, flat on one side and grooved on the other for hooks. It will save $$$$:smile2:

9. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I used matzuo red octopus hooks for an entire season on limb lines and they were still were sharp but the red color wore off after about 50 fish (wild wolf 7/0) maybe they will get some back in stock.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I can guarantee that gamakatsu hooks will be as sharp as they were when you pulled them out of the pk after 63 channel cats, and if you counted the rest of the channels I caught on the hook that year I would say 100's..They are the sharpest hook out of the pk you can find and IMHO the strongest too..>

More reps your way, Kenny!

Bill in SC

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :roll_eyes: couldnt tell you my line gets frayed or broke off long before i get in the teens let alone above 50:crazy: so ive done retied with a diff hook.:confused2: