Catfish Hook Assortment from Walmart

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by festus, Oct 21, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Has anyone ever bought the cheap hooks at Walmart simply labeled "Catfish Assortment Value Pack"? I picked up a pack of these the other day, some of the hooks are ok, but I'm not impressed with a few of them. There is one type I really like, it's similar to a circle or octopus hook, fairly sharp, nice size. There's also a few Kahles in there, along with some smaller hooks I imagine that would be for bullheads. Also a few trotline hooks. The pack was under $3, I guess they will be ok. They also have Bass Assortment, Trout Assortment, and Panfish Assortment. The packs don't give the manufacturer's name

2. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    interesting. I know exactly what your talking about. It seems like a killer deal, like you I only seen a few in the bunch that I would use.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thsoe packs dotn always hae the same hooks in them..liek you say though..they got a few really great hooks but most are junk IMO..i broke one of the wannabe kahles from those packs on a big ol drum one night..if a drum will break em a big cat will braid em :smile2::tounge_out:..if they ahd a whole pack of the good ones id be stocked up brotha

4. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i bought them the other day but it was for bait fish and eaters.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my problem is fishing for bait fish and a hawg comes and takes my set up away and giggles at me

6. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i like that problem. i go cheep with my bait set up. 202 zeby with a 7 dollar rod. :eek:oooh: caught a 12 pound carp the other night and had a ball doing it. :big_smile: I did end up with him breaking my line and cheep hook off. Oh well.

7. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Not since last year.
    I buy the Eagle Claw trebles and small circles from there.
    Also sinkers , and certain types of line. From recollection , it is a decent deal , but not all the hooks are usable - some I could bend with fingers. But if push came to shove , I'd gladly use them all.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    those hooks are fine for small eater size channels with some sharpening,but it you want a chance at landing any bigger fish better get some good hooks.

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Pretty much like a lot of things in life, it's only a bargin or value if you are not giving up quality. Sounds to me like you are giving up too much quality. Think about it. Would you want your chance at a once in a lifetime fish ruined because of something as basic as a hook? You just never know when that once in a lifetime fish will bite. :wink: JMHO

Ray

PS Still waiting for my once in a liftime fish, but I'm prepared. :wink:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Exactly!!!

...W

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I second that statement.:0a27::0a27:

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IF UR GOING FOR NUMBERS....... GO FOR IT

IF UR GOING PB/WEIGHT............ NOOOOOO

JUS MY $0.02 :wink:

LeRoy

13. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    They use to have eagle claw circle hooks boxes. The hooks were 0/2 - 0/5 not sure if they still have them or not. They were a good deal for anyone wanting to use them for eaters or learn to use circle hooks. I used them before and never had one break or bend. I landed a 11# ch cat on one of the 2/0 and a 19# ch cat on one of the 4/0. They may not be one of the top brands but they are worth the money for anyone on a budget.

However if your targetting that once in a lifetime fish go with Owner or Gamakatsu hooks.

14. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Sorry guy's I screwed up. That was sizes 2/0 - 5/0 in those E. C. circle hook boxes mentioned above.

15. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Festus,
    I've seen the assortment but it leads me to wonder just how good the sharpness, hooking ability etc. The actual hook itself looks just as good as a gamma or mustad but for the cheapness I wouldnt count on first class results. Just my .02.