Catfish help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JHalden, May 17, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everyone this is kind of a long post and a lot of different little questions but I need some help. I found a spot at a local lake with hundreds of carp, it is the mouth of a creek. I've also caught and seen big bass there. I fished there tonight with my dad we got some solid hits but they were really quick strikes. We were using stinky old cheese, stinky old linguisa, and some peanutbutter doughballs. I heard this group of people on the other side of the water saying they got a bunch of catfish and I knew they were using chicken livers. I think part of my problem is my bait and the other is my rigging.

For rigging I was using a light sliding sinker and about 18inch leader. I tried basic baitholder hooks and a red octopus. I don't like the idea of circle hooks because I love to set the hook, and I actually already have some but I bought them like 6/0 the size people in the south use I feel funky usin it here in california (i know theres some big ones but they arent as common)... What are your favorite hooks or does it depend on what kind of bait your using?

What kind of bait?! There are bunches of baitfish around and I'de like to catch some but thats a little more difficult. I'm probably gonna go back out tomorrow with chicken liver. My mom swears on clams but those are also more difficult to get. Do nightcrawlers work or is something more smelly better. I've got a two pole stamp so i wanna throw a couple different baits... Any cheap easy homemade baits are ideal as I don't want to have to go buy bait every time I want to fish. I've also tried those catfish dingleberry things and they seem kind of phoney.

A part that I dont like about using a sinker with these kind of baits is that the bait doesn't float so Im also really interested in float fishing... Do you use those big salmon/steelhead floats or do you use just a cheap plastic bobber? or does it really matter in still water?

I'm also up for catchin some carp there are some huge ones. I could have swore I even saw one that looked like it had a persons face on it. I hear some of them can be quite expensive, like the orange/white ones... Just kind of interesting to me.

Thank you everyone for putting up with such a long post, seems like it should be in the joke thread doesnt it? :0a35:

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Justin..I would just keep browsing the site and check out the library for some great tips.One thing I've learned is that fishing in one area of the country can be completely different than another so talk to some locals about bait choice and locations.The slip sinker rig is a sound technique for catching cats and you can also use a three-way rig or a float..I use a 12" cigar float slip rigged to fish deep..As for bait, I'm not a big prepared bait guy but some people swear by it..I prefer using small baitfish that I usually catch in the area I'm fishing using a cast net or a dip net..Lil minnows, shad and bream make great catfish bait..Worms work best after rain but I love using big gobs of nightcrawlers for cats..As far as hooks I always use circle hooks..You'll eventually get used to not setting the hook..I sometimes catch myself trying to set the hook hard like I'm bass fishing..I usually use a 8/0 circle hook but I use as small as a 3/0..Well hope that helps a lil, again welcome to the BOC and don't feel bad about your questions there legit and you've come to the right place to ask about catfishing..

3. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Thank you for your help!

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I see you are from our state but north. I want to welcome you to the BOC. Have you been to the California section? Just browse around and ask a lot of questions. There are folks up in your area :wink: