Catfish head weighing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Rmills, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i found a fresh head from a blue cat behind a hyro it was cut off right in front of the dorsal fin. when i found it the whiskers were still twitching and the gills still flapping so i know it was fresh dead. but i weighed the head and it was exactly 30lbs. how big do yall think that fish was?

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    If the head weighed 30 pounds, the whole catfish must have weighed around 75-80 pounds.

Shame that the fish was caught in the turbines...

I found a paddlefish less the head in the tailrace of L&D16 last winter. It had gone through the turbine. There was still about 50 pounds of fish left, and still bleeding when I picked it up.

3. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey tkish does that qualifey as road kill!!!!!:) lol have a day

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i agree with Tkish... somewhere around 80 lbs... although there's a possibility it could have been larger... never know... Could have been a new WR... :-(

5. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Man thats Sad So bad I would like to catch it

6. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess the fish had to come through the hydro and didn't swim up into it. i think i have a picture of the head i will see if i can find it.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Gardenhawk had a flathead head wash up at her feet like that at Pickwick. It wasn't nearly that big, but it's head was about the size of a football. It stayed there just long enough for several of us to notice it, then washed back out again. We were on the walkway right at the foot of the dam.

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats too bad man! That had to have been a nice fish and it is a shame to hear about that! Sounds like it would have been one heck of a trophy to be on the other end of your line!:sad:

9. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i just hope his brothers and sisters are still alive! i figured a catfish that old would have known better than to get pulled through the hydro.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Rmills what dam did you see that fish at.

11. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well i hate to draw anymore attention to this lake chris, but i'll say anyway it came through the monticello hydro i found it floating by the air bladder behind the dam. i have a picture somewhere it'll probably be a week or so before i can get home to find it. i am in clemson right now.