Catfish Guts for Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Duane, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Has anyone try it when your running low on bait slit one of your s open remove entrails and bait up put the gutted catfish back in the cooler place ice in him .The old timers around here did it when bait was runing low say it works comments

2. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    I don't keep any catfish but I would suppose it would work. They use perch parts and eyes to catch perch so it sounds good.

3. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Ive heard of using the belly meat for flatheads but it otta work for the others too.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First you need to check your state regulations on this before you try it. In some states it is illegal to clean your fish and put the waste back in the waters that you are fishing, Just a thought!!!

5. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I agree,check your state rules before you do anything.If you don't, a great idea might turn into a very expensive mistake!

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Ya, I have used it before and had pretty good luck with it. Me and my buddies were running low on bait for our limblines. So we put catfish guts on them. We tor em up. We brought home 20 fish on 28 limb lines. That was pretty good compared to what I thought would happen.

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I use the guts and heads to chum a couple of my favorite holes. What I catch on this trip I will clean and take the guts out the next day and chum a little ways up river. In La. you can gut the fish on the water, you just can't filet them out unless you cook and it eat it then.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :) Better check those regs....Here in Arkansas it states you cannot use any part of a gamefish for bait..Expensive fine plus points againist your license.:crying:

9. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bulldaddy. Thanks for the info on LA rules. We are down here in Baton Rouge and fish the Mississippi regularly. But, we are always trying new things. Have you seen the video from a Tennessee gathering? I can't remember where I found it, but they were using shad guts as bait. While the video was shooting he landed a 19 pounder with em.

10. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After the big spoonbill fiasco we had in Missouri it is illegal to use eggs or parts of gamefish for bait. Dern shame too! Spoonbill eggs were a mighty hot item fer blues and flats. Good part of it was, it was just a re-cycled waste product of snaggin!