Catfish guts for bait

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ulikedew, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    My son asked me this question last night while watching a catfish skinning video.And I was stumped.

Can you use catfish guts like you use skipjack guts for bait?

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Guts out of any fish... Though, I seem to have better luck with guts in summer months...

Also, before using them, its always good to look inside the stomach to see what they been feeding on and use that instead...

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont see why you cant myself,I use alot of shad gut to catch em

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Be sure to read the regs in your state very carefully first. Arkansas prohibits using any part of a gamefish for bait or chum.

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    jtrew
    Thats true for Texas too.

I didn't know that about guts and heads , until I learned it on this site and then I looked it up. I email TPW, they said what you said.
    I was glad to learn that.

it's ashame too, cause crappie heads and other parts of game fish is good bait. kind of a waste when cleaning fish and cant use the throw away parts.

as for catfish bait. we all know different baits is sometimes better than others. the smellier the better.
    but I think a man can catch a catfish on just bout anything. maybe even a dirty sock. LOL. may have to sit there for a good while but sooner or later Mr. whiskers will take the bait.

humans are the same as catfish. They will bite any food sooner or later.LOL.
    Like the dog cookies we got at pet store for my dogs Christmas present. They smell and look like real cookies.
    sons friend was over watching the game Saturday. I told him to help himself to snacks, chili and jerky. Dog Cookies on counter in a clear bag, with pet store name on it, by a plate of real cookies. I notice bag open and some missing. I asked the ol boy if he enjoyed the cookies. he said they was good, thanks. I laugh , told him to thank my dog, they was
    hers. his eyes got big, he denied eating them. said he only got those off plate and not out of bag. yea right, what ever makes you feel better, need a glass of milk. LMAO.:smile2:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Did he have any attacks of lickin his butt or workin out on someones leg? LOL!

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOL BG.
    I didn't add that part. We did give him a hard time after that on butts and legs and laying in the road. I told him they was special dog friendly cookies.

Everytime he comes over ( playoffs) I will have something to say about it. There are a hundred of em. LOL

Once done, the fun never ends. LOL.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That also depends on how your state classifies "Game Fish". In some places, catfish ARE NOT game fish so those rules don't apply.

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Catfish are a game fish in Missouri so it'd be illegal here.

10. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    my friend does that on lake merion he skins them rite
    there in the boat as soon as he catches it and uses it as bait
    this past summer it has produced for him a 40lb blue a 56 lb
    blue and and several nice flatheads he averages 7 fish anight

11. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    have never tried them but was thinking about grinding some up in a old blender and pour them over some catfish fillets that had went bad will post results