Catfish guides and TMI (too much information)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JPritch, Jul 18, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Was wondering in everyone's experience if guides are more likely to show you more of their best spots and techniques if you are an out of towner for a one time fishing trip as opposed to somebody local who wants to learn to fish the river on their own. I am thinking about hiring a guide for the James so I can have better success on my own, but I don't want to be shortchanged either on what I'm taught for fear of giving away his secrets. I know of some guides who go so far as to ban GPS phones on trips. Is it a no-no to fish the same spots a guide has shown you, or is that a trade-off they make for taking your money for a trip?

What do you all think?

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I never hired a freshwater guide,but have been on saltwater trips.Thats a very common practice for party boats,don't get caught trying to hide one:beated::that_hurt:bad things could happen:0a20:

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Ifished with a guide on the Mississippi and I am pretty sure he took us to his good spots. His tournement partner(Bill Dance) launched from the same location we did and was fishing in pretty much the same spot. So i figure if it is a spot that bill dance will fish then it would probably be a pretty good spot for anyone else to fish.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Remember guys, don't name specific guides on the board. If somebody wants to reccomend one, just PM the name to him. Thanks.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Ask around before you hire one. People will lead you in the right direction.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    If a guide is so insecure about his holes that he won't allow gps then I would look for another guide. I know a couple local guides that regularly put folks on fish and they say there are no secrets in fishing anymore. They don't own the public waters they profit from. JMHO

Cheez

7. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I HAVE HIRED GUIDES ON TEXOMA FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS (SAME GUIDE).HE TOOK ME TO DIFFERANT SPOTS BOTH WERE REALLY GOOD SPOTS.I THINK IT IS TIME OF YEAR OR PATTERNS.I THINK MOST GUIDES WILL TAKE U TO A HOTSPOT IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE PATTERN THE FISH R ON:smile2:

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Guess I got a different view on it.. Instead of focusing on the "spots" he takes you to, focus on WHY that is a good spot.. I'd be more apt to ask him how he found it, patterns he has noticed, techniques he favors and if they vary during different times of the season... You can then find your own "spots"... Spots, contours, and river layout constantly change.. You'd be better off getting the other info than just a couple of spots that may or may not be hot when you go back out...

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There you go. That's exactly the right reasoning -- and trust me (coming from the "been there, done that" dept.) finding your own hole that produces fish is *way* more rewarding than going back to a spot the guide showed you.

When considering a potential guide, be up front with him and tell him exactly why you want to fish with him. Let the guide know that you're from the area and that you're interested in learning more about the body of water and how to consistently find the fish, how to read the depth finder, what to look for in selecting a place to drop your lines, etc. By his response, you should be able to tell whether he's the guide for you -- if he'll offer to tailor you trip to be educational than simply about putting fish in the boat, you've found your guide. If not, keep looking.

I'm a firm believer that a day spent with a competent, honest catfish guide will teach you more about fishing than you'll stumble into in years of fishing on your own or in months of scouring posts here on the BOC.

A guided trip is a big chunk of money for most folks, so make sure the guide you pick will meet your needs.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Perfect advice T and Tim.If you just want some spots of his offer him the money to take you to some while you GPS them and it will save him some time.I have fished with the James guides and all will give you a good days effort to put you on fish.1:paying them doesnt guarantee you will catch fish just understand that going in.2:tell him what you expect ie I want to learn everything I can about fishing the James and how you go about it.3:specify what you would like to catch: a couple of 50s or a bunch of decent fish.It makes a difference on how he will fish or where.4:ask questions,observe everything.The kinds of and size of the sinkers they use on the James is very important,the size of the bait might surprise you.Where you catch bait is handy to know.I have fished with some of the best guides anywhere and not caught a single fish both at Santee and on the James.I never felt cheated because they worked their butts off trying everything they knew and we were skunked.Still learned a lot and got my moneys worth.Remember fishing is seasonal so where they take you in July probably wont be where they take you in Dec.Stay right behind the fishfinder so you can see the structure he is fishing and the depths and what phase of the tide.Note how he anchors and with what.Soak up everything you can.:smile2:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    What T said . I agree!!

12. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    About thirty years ago I moved up to a home near the St johns river .I fish it for about 10 trip and did real poor .I talked to a local guide a the tackle shop .and ask him to show me how to fish the area .
    We spent a hole day running the river about 15 miles eather side of the ramp down the street from my house .
    Cost ,he charged me for a hole day trip 75$ back then .We did not fish each spot he showed me but he explained why it was a good spot .
    He also invited me to enrole in a fishing class he taught at the local hi school after hours .In it he went through a chart of the river and explained it pointing out were to fish for what .
    Wow I learned a bunch and it has payed for it self a mess of times .
    You might want to try that .it worked for me
    crmule

13. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i know a dude who's best friends with a guide on the ohio river and he regularly goes to his friend's "spots"

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Every time you go out on the river, you're fishin' in somebody's "spot"...