catfish growth rates - LOZ

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by love2catfish, Jul 17, 2008.

1. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Does anyone have any information on LOZ catfish growth rates? I would be interested in finding out just how long it takes to grow a 30, 40, 50lb blue cat. I know the MDC has studied this. I'm just not sure where the reports are located. I know that each body of water has it's own growth expectations. I'm curious how this lake compares.

Thanks in advance for any information:big_smile:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have the age structure rates in front of me for Truman Reservoir. These were provided to me by Kevin Sullivan, MDC rescourse scientist. The study was done in 2004-2006.

It may be totally different for LOZ but a 50 pound flathead and Bluecat in Truman based on there study is between 20-25 years old. Granted some fish may gain weight a lot faster but based on there studys that is the average age for a 50 pound fish.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Here are couple of articles with good information:

http://www.fisheries.org/afs/docs/pub_sympsample.pdf

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/research/bluecatfishmanagementresearch.pdf - this is for Oklahoma waters which seem to be quite different than LOZ and Truman.

Here's the info Troy got from Kevin Sullivan that he posted last year - you've gotta have really good eyes to read it though... http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=651935&postcount=9

Bottom line, as Troy says, they grow mightly slow in our reservoirs

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not familiar with that area. I have read that mature flats/blues can gain up to 10 pounds per year in a perfect environment

5. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    I have also heard that big catfish can gain up to 10lbs a year. Tennessee lakes are supposedly able to carry this growth rate for some reason. I have read in several articles that growth rates for catfish in Missouri lakes are very low. After all the conversation I've seen recently about releasing large fish to continue growing (CPR), I was curious how long it took to make a trophy in our fishing waters. I'm in my mid 30's so that means I could possibly be catching fish older than I am (not that I've ever been so lucky!).

Thanks for the links. I haven't read them yet, but I'm sure I'll be finding time soon. The largest fish I've kept from below the dam is 11 pounds, and that was because my 14 year old fishing guest caught it.

I remember an enormous fish kill in the late 70's on Lake of the Ozarks. From what you're telling me, we could theoretically still be recovering from that. That's amazing to me.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is really interesting, I was video's on The James River and Santee cat's and the Video claims that they can get trophy size in has little has 10-15 years.

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    ...so what you're saying is you have to trim more from those larger fish because they're so old? This is one of the reasons that several people on this forum will only keep fish that are 10 lbs and under. It is definitely a case of quality vs. quantity. Good luck on the water.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not sure of growth rates on wild fish but being raised on a fish farm i do know it's all proportional to population and avalibility of food. You can hold pond raised fish at a certain size, or make them grow by seining and transferring to another pond and dumping the vittles to them. After my big brother left home i shot up like a weed, not having to compete for the last pork chop.:smile2:

9. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia

Thank you sir for the useful post

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    So lemme think, is Buck Smith Scotty and Arlo is one of his pals or is it vice versa? I mean really, computers can play video games, too. Why don't you two fellas buy a copy of Halo 3 or something and try and start fights and ruin threads on a gaming site? Sheeeesh.

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Well said, Branden. Well said.:wink: