Catfish growth rate.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fry Guy, May 19, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'm moving into a new place and it has an 11 acre lake on it. The owner said he stocked it with 1000 1lb blue and channel catfish 10 years ago. My question is approximately how big do you think these fish are now with plenty to eat(haven't got to fish it yet). He said there's some bigguns in there and it has had little to no fishing preassure. There are also several other 1 to 2 acre ponds with catfish and three ponds with baitfish that I can use:smile2: Can't wait to fish it!

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think it woudl depend on food and such, but by noiw thewy should be a pretty good size. I've got a book that has growth rates for channels and blues, and when I'll find it I'll post it.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks Tyler. From what I know there is plenty for them to eat. Lots of baitfish etc. so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping there's allot of 15-20lbers in there. Of course I could just be dreaming but:cross:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The Blues will most likely be bigger than the channels, due to there aggressive tendencies and there are always ones that are more aggressive than others. So you should have a wide variety of sizes in that pond. I don't put much faith in charts because there are way to many variables to consider.

5. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I don't want exact weights just maybe some rough gestimates. I was just wandering If I might have some at least over 20lbs in there? Thanks.

6. pinto

pinto New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with dreadnaught and also with what types of things they have to eat in their. Well good luck and maybe we can meet up and see what you have in their!

7. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Pretty funny Pinto. Maybe you'll catch something this time:tounge_out:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    They could range from 10 to 35 lbs or more!!!

9. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    That's what I like to hear:lol: Maybe I can break 20lbs finally.

10. pinto

pinto New Member

State:
    Missouri
    1 to 2lbs mite be the only you might catch. I will come over there and help you out. J/K pinto

11. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Nah. I'll let you catch the bait this time:smile2:

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have read that blues grow at a rate of around two pounds per year in ideal conditions while channels may take up to 1-2 years to reach a pound. What are ideal conditions? Well, food quality and plentifulness is important, water pH and water temperature plays a part as well as competetion for food.

With all that said, the pond is probably not the ideal growth situation. With a mortality rate of 50% of the stock fish, you would be looking at 500 cats in an 11 acre lake, all competeting for a limited food supply.

13. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks Wylie. When they were stocked they were already a lb. So that might improve the mortality rate I really don't know. I think they have plenty to eat though. The owner also has a hatchery going and puts lots of baitfish into the pond. I guess there are to many variables to tell. I have been looking online but can only find stuff about farm raised catfish which is totally different. I guess I'll just have to tuff it out and catch some to find out:big_smile:

14. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Can I come over and play?
    I'll bring the beer. :big_smile:

15. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    wanna kno the easy way to find out? go fish it!! if you need help ill come over 2!! hope u get a big one.

16. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Sure Mike come on over. I like bud light by the way:smile2: Can always use some help finding out how big they are. You're probably what about an hour away?

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    According to the book I have you could have some channels in there around 3 or 4 pounds and Blues up to 15 or more. Thats jsut what the table says, but weather and food and all that other stuff is factored in. Hope you pull some big ones out of there though.

18. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like a sweet set up.
    My uncle has a similar situation. but on a little smaller lake.
    If i could offer a recommendation.
    It will be easy and tempting to keep large qauntities of fish, but small ponds ecosystems can be put out of whack if limited populations are harvested.
    though it sounds like it will be a bountiful treasure of catfish:big_smile:
    good luck, let us know how it works out.
    thanks
    Larry

19. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Don't worry Larry I rarely if ever keep the fish I catch, I just LOVE to fish. If I do decide to keep fish I know plenty of other places I can go to get eaters. No need depleeting my resources:big_smile: Hopefully it turns out to one nice honey hole.

20. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You could run the possibility of having stunted fish from overcrowding, I doubt it, but it could happen. With that being said, need some help checking the size of the cats in there, just gimme a ring and I will be willing to help!

Aaron

TA2D