Catfish Groupies?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MississippiJugHead, Aug 10, 2006.

1. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is an interesting article in the Washington Post today about BASS tournaments in general and one particular fisherman, Mike Iaconelli, specifically. The part that got my attention wasn't how they run tournaments or what bait to use but that the BASS champions attract groupies just like rock stars. Are there catfish groupies?

2. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Yep! Might be a few on here.:wink: Big bucks in bass fishing though. Had one pro send me of several hundreds of dollars worth of lures that was give to him by tackle company.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Now Bill, I mean Dillon, we know your good friend (wink).

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Isn't he the one that yells and screams and acts like he's never caught a fish each time he lands one? If that's him (or whover that is) he's and idiot and an embarrasment to fishing, IMO.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    If there are catfish groupies I am sure the will look much different than that groupies that follow iaconelli in the bass tournies. LOLOLOL

Wheelmobile07

6. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I get almost trampled by women at the lake. They are screaming, "Oh, are you catfishing? Can I get some kisses from you? I love you!!!" I don't mind it to much but I would like to have some peace and quiet every once and a while.

7. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    yeah that is him, but I tell ya if that is what it takes to make that kind of money and have a "hard job" like that, Im cheating myself cause I act like an idiot for free. Guess the jokes on me:lol: . Didnt know there was such a thing as an EMBARRASMENT to fishing, lighten up a little.

8. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the article they mention this...

Earlier this year, at the Citgo Bassmaster Classic, Iaconelli was disqualified for a day after he discovered a fish in his live well was dying. After trying to revive it with a chemical additive, he ripped off the boat's running light -- American flag still attached -- started cursing, and threw it into the water.

His boat sponsor dropped him. But the fans loved it, and defended him.

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    A few days after the tournament, Iaconelli through BASS issued the following letter of apology:

“I want to publicly apologize to anyone I have offended by my recent actions during the 2006 Bassmaster Classic. As you know, I am a very passionate person. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me and that is exactly what happened. After finding several of my fish dying, I handled this crisis in the wrong way. I wish I could take back my actions but, I am human and I made a mistake.
    I want to ensure everyone that my frustrations and anger were in no way purposely directed toward damaging safety equipment or degrading the American Flag. I love this country and I love everything that the flag stands for. I am very patriotic and totally support our troops. No group more than professional anglers should feel as fortunate to live in a country that provides opportunity for so many to chase their dream.
    By quoting the famous American President John F. Kennedy, "When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters — one represents danger, and the other represents opportunity." In the spirit of this statement, I ask for the forgiveness from my fans, peers, sponsors and all others who may have been offended by my actions.
    This has been an unfortunate incident and I regret what I did. When things like this happen you have to learn from your mistakes, keep fishing and move forward. This is what I intend to do and hope you will move forward with me.”
    — Mike Iaconelli

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I feel your pain brother the "groupies" are always wanting me to kiss them and let them rub my belly. lmao