Catfish go to baits

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by nut, Feb 9, 2009.

1. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    just a question, what are your go to baits for cats? here in central PA on sayers i use cutbait perch, on the west branch of the susky chicken livers seem to do the trick. any observations.....

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    any live or cut baitfish is gonna work like a sunfish I use chunked up bluefish for channels:wink:

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Randy - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a22: Baits I prefer for Flatheads are live Bluegill, Perch, Whitebass, large Chubs, Suckers, etc. and Channel Cats I like cutbait especially Bluegill heads, other stuff like nightcrawlers, stinkbait, minnows work also.

4. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Live gills for flats bigger the better, Channels, cutbait chubs, suckers, panfish.:wink:

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the club Randy. I used to fish sayers dam and the west branch too. I like cutbait or small sunnies or fallfish. We used to get some nice ones at the pier on sayers with bass shiners.

6. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    that's the problem with sayers, there's a size restriction on sunnies. you're not supposed to use the under 7"er's for bait.guess i could use the defilleted bodies next time i go out.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    for me my go to bait for flatties are big rock bass when i can get them. just seems like i get bigger fish to bite them when i use them in the spots i fish.

8. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've been told its always a good idea to have a few diffrent baits to try, just in case the fish are being picky. As an alternative bait to have on hand... I was wondering if anyone has tried using any of the berkly gulp cut bait or 4in shrimps, or dip baits like Secret-7? Are any of these even worth trying? Also what baits are best for early spring river fishing?

Thanks, Bill

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    for flatheads i only use some type of live bait 5+ inchs long
    channels i use stink or cutbaits, sunny or gill heads seem to work best for larger channnels

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    never heard anything good catfish wise about the gulp and from experience i can tell you the berkley catfish baits are pretty worthless.

11. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    that seems to be my observation as well, the pre-packaged clump catfish baits are only good for putting in your enemy's car on a hot summer day,laugh out loud.

12. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I never had any luck with berkley catfish baits. I don't waste me money anymore on that stuff.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Please never speak of stink or packaged catfish baits here EVER!:crazy:.

14. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Gotta follow Lenny on this one :wink:live gill for flats gill heads or stinky oily bluefish for channels or I'm gonna try shrimp soaked in omega 3 fish oil

15. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    now now tan,

we can heckle a really cheezy product, can't we?? There's lot of POTENTIAL baits. I'm sure almost all of them work SOMETIMES. I'd almost be curious what stink bait works best --BUT everyone of them seems to have their fans and its just hard to know if I can trust'em. for sure success has gone up since I used the last stinkbait and turned to more major baits...

and it goes without saying that most oddball things are ineffective at catching flats.

I might pick up some stinkbait for bullheads. from past experiences, bullheads bite first (march/april), they are also one of my favorite dinners. Yeah, perhaps bullheads. of course, most of that stuff don't work for nuthin'. I'll just have to seek some opinions and gamble on the 3-4 bucks that was recommended was good.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You can't wrong with tiny pieces of chicken livers for bullheads. Gobb-of-garden worms work well too.

I enjoy heckling stink bait users because in the summer of 2007, we fished Sante-Cooper canals will live herring, live sunfish, cut herring, and nightcrawlers. To cut the story short, us 4 PA guys were outfished by a 9 year old kid with a mullet and his beer drinking dad. The 2 of them caught well over 25 catfish in 12 hours while us 4 caught 1 measly suicidal channel cat on nightcrawlers:embarassed:. I think the fish down there are conditioned to stinkbait!

17. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    The old saying goes don't knock it till you try it:wink:

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    You wanna have a stinkbait.......I got a recipe for ya:smile2:
    Kept Scott at the other end of Cattracker every time I pulled it out:wink:

Pretty sure Jason's eyes were waterin too.

Brian, I just realized I didnt bring any of that wicked stuff down ever, I guess I gotta do that this year.

This stuff is awesome for channels, but bad when you need a drink, eat a sandwich, need a dip.:embarassed::confused2:

19. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Maybe its a "match the hatch" deal...

That is, cow;horse;etc manure hits the waters, and with the rapid decomposing of manure in sourthern places-- the zillions of maggots all make a break for it. channels clean up on maggots.

Did I get it figured out?!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I did not see any maggots in this crap. The stuff was like someone pooped in a jar. Even it it caught me 200 fish, I refused to use it.