Catfish Gender

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by orion_xxvx, Feb 29, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    How can you tell the difference between male and female bluecats and male and female flatheads?( besides eggs)

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I always heard males have one hole down by their tail,and females have 2 holes down by there tail..Dont know if that is true or not, but i did hear that somewhere.

3. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I copied this from a site i found.

how to tell the difference between male bluecat and female bluecat and it's easy to tell. Some look at these characteristics as a different species calling them Mississippi Whites and there is no such thing. When trying to identify the differences in male and females they have very distinct differences and I'll show you how to tell the difference between the two. I've taken enough of these fish apart to know the difference at a glance as to whether they're male or female so I'll try to describe the differences to you.

First off the males once they get up to about ten pounds will have a distinct humped back or shoulders is what some people call them and they also have a rounded head or more muscular head than the females. The Female Bluecat is more of a streamlined fish with straight gill plates and not muscular looking at all. It doesn't matter how big a female gets either. They'll never get the humps on their backs between the dorsal fin and the head on both sides like the males have. Here is a classic looking male bluecat with the bulges in front of the dorsal on both sides.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    ALL the fish I catch are female. Gals can't resist me!!:wink:

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark,
    My oh my, there you go again, expressing your distinctive orationary skills, it must be difficult to restrain yourself.:smile2:. You didn't think I'd find this did you:roll_eyes:

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dylan, that was a very good description of the differences you posted. There is another more specific(?) way to distinquish the difference.
    There are two differences at the anal vent. On the male, toward the rear of the anal vent, there is a protuberance, on the female, there is a slight indentation. I have some drawings and pictures showing the difference which a found in the IF magazine some years ago, I tried finding it in my reference library, with no success so far, but I'll keep looking, soon as I find it, I'll post them.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, you're close, but it's just slightly different than what you described.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanx Jim. Lookin' forward to meeting you at the gathering. We'll do what we do best. You catch cats, and I'll run my mouth.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Judging from your verbose post's, it'll be a pleasure fishing with you!!!!:smile2: or otherwise too:smile2:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You wave a dollar bill in front of there nose..First one that grabs it is a female!:big_smile: