catfish for pets

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, Dec 7, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well im working on the blueprints of a tank like cabalas but smaller ,i want a big flatead and a blue cat, will one kill the other,if so what would be the one to worry about ive looked all over the net but cant find no anwser,if any body knows drop a line

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    if their simalar in size,they'll be fine.if ones big and one small its dinner time.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I wouldn't put them in together. If it was my tank I would put small cats in it because they will swim around a lot more than a big one. A big one will just lay there most of the time and with small one you can have more fish in your tank. JMO

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    regardless of the size of the flathead thats gonna be a boring fish,i've had several.on in nearly total daekness will he move.a blue i don't know.i've had several flats,don't want anymore for a tank.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i always wanted some 30 40 pounders in my house but theirs alot of work and study to do on this its not going to happen soon but im working on it,and the cost is a big concern, the tank will be the size of a car and will be built by me,filtration will be hard and air pumps

6. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Try Monsterfishkeepers.com:wink:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Flathead catfish do not live in captivity well. If they don't get darkness, they go insane. If you tank is big enough, make sure it has a log so it can hid in during the daytime.

I've tried to keep flatheads in my aquarium for years and the only one that survived (6 months) was so small it spent 99% of it's time under a fake log I out in there.

They are river fish and need rivers!

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Flatheads are very territorial, if you put equal sized fish or a smaller blue in there dont be suprised if that Flathead attacks the blue.

9. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure if this was because of cramped space or what, but one tournament over the summer we had a blue and a channel in a livewell together and had no problems. Then we put in a 25 lb flathead and boy was he Poed. Started banging in the livewell and everything else.

10. zirjacks

zirjacks Active Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    My local Cabelas has huge tanks with flats and blues in it. They must keep them fed well though because there is bass, crappie and just about everything else in there too.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    30-40 pounders in a tank the size of a car is too small. Maybe one or the other in a tank that size and you still might be pushing it. The blue will constantly swim around and the flathead will just lay there. You might be better off getting 1-5 pound flatheads and let them grow in the tank. Then when they get around 20 pounds release them, if your like me you will get attached but a new project every couple years is a lot of fun.

And i saw someone mention monsterfishkeepers, it is a great website. Unfortunately i got banned over a basketball:roll_eyes:, nothing like trying to sell a autographed basketball by larry bird and magic johnson and having people expecting dozens of pages of authorization:smile2:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You might just want to get a dog or a cat there Jake.:roll_eyes:.Sounds like you,ve got way too much free time!:smile2:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea tats what gave me the drive to do this ,i got a biolgest number who is the care taker im going to give im a call