Catfish for catfishing

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by godsglad8tor, Jun 9, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i know channels are prone to being the bottem dwellers of the lake, how well do they turn to canibalizim. and if catfish eat each other what is the best part of the cat to use for another cat?

2. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Need to check your state regs first. Here in Texas you can only use bullheads for bait. All others are considerd gamefish and would be illegal to use.

3. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    flatheads arnt gamefish

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    any thing that gets over 20 lbs.and bites a hook is a sport fish at least to me.

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Check your regs but usually a channel will eat about any fish small enough to and I would imagine another small channel would fit the bill nicely. I know in Ky any fish not a sportfish is fair game for bait. Ive caught plenty of channels on small baitfish like gills and chubs.

6. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    sorry for the confussion guys, i guess what i ment to ask is, will catfish eat their own kind, i have some catfish that i have cleaned, already cut the fillets off, and was just wondering if there is anything on the catfish that you can turn and use for bait or just toss it?

7. TheForsaken

TheForsaken New Member

State:
    Texas
  8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Again, check your state regulations.

Many states prohibit the use of game fish for bait - it doesn't matter whether you're using the whole thing or just using some portion of the fish.

If channel / blue / flathead catfish aren't a game fish in your state, then (a) your state needs better fish & game regulations and (b) it's more likely to be OK to use them for bait. But you won't know for sure until you read the regulations.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    regs regs regs, always be sure of the regs! most states won't allow any part of a gamefish to be used as bait... that said, the red meat off just about any fish is good bait. big baitfish like carp have it too. from what i hear from your neck of the woods, mackerel is the way to go, and not too hard to get.

10. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    well i guess it could be illegal to use the scraps for bait, however, i know fish dont bleed that much but do you think you could harvest catfish blood to mix in a bait of your choice or does it not work as well as chicken or other kinds of blood, just trying to recycle :big_smile:

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Catfish scraps work great for bait. A buddy of mine would always take ALL fish scraps and run through meat grinder, heads bones guts all of it from all kinds of fish.
    then he would pour this sloppy stuff into one gallon buckets that he lined with veg oil and freeze it.
    He would toss these frozen blocks into water and as the melted it cummed area
    we used this to chum for channels with channel heads and guts. We know they were eating it so it should work for bait.
    It is illeagal to do that in texas, but i figured that it would be more ethical to use what i cant eat in some way or another.

12. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    I've tried to get catfish to bite on catfish....no go!
    I've tried everything, garlic powder, brine, rotting it in the sun, etc.
    Never had any luck with it.