Catfish for Bait??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thex1224, May 26, 2008.

1. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just had a question for everyone. Do many people use small catfish they catch as bait? I wont even use small bass as bait because i want them to grow up big oneday, so i can catch them when they're six pounds or better. I talked to a guy the other day who said he thought on of the best catfish baits was small catfish..... Is this true, or is this kinda immoral since most of us are out there hunting that big one that got the chance to grow up.....

Just wanted an opinion on what everyone thought, or to find out if small cats are a good bait for big cats....

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have never used one of the three "preferred" species for bait but have heard that small channels can be good flathead bait. I have also heard stories of big channels being caught on small ones. I would suggest useing bullheads if they are available to you and are legal in your state.They are more plentiful and wont make you feel quilty.:smile2:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's illegal in many states to use game fish or their parts as bait. Check your local regs before you put anything questionable on your hook.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear bullheads make good bait.