Catfish for bait

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Matth2083, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    This may be a dumb question....but Im curious whether baby catfish are an acceptable form of bait. Im know flatties will take em down but Im not sure whether they are a legal bait since they are a game fish in NC. Like I said, not sure if this is a dumb question. Thanks.

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Go for it. They are not a gamefish in NC, atleast not yet.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use a lot of bullhead and white cats and they work great.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    IF LEGAL

Bullheads, Channel Cats make great live baits. They withstand the higher water temps better than Gills, Suckers etc., etc. The with less stress on them they stay kicking better than most others under the hot/warm water conditions. I use a small bobber that will submerge just above the live bullheads to keep them dancing to try to get back to the bottom. This helps call in them thar Shovels. I like them in the 9-11 inch range and will set bank lines to get the bullheads before I go fer the Flats!!

I hope this helps abit!!!

:smile: :still_dreaming:

5. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Yeah. good to know guys. I just lucked out and catch a couple baby channels on accident while trying to catch some shad. I think i might have to make it a point to catch em on purpose now. Thanks again guys.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont use channels, just brackish water white cats, they are different. White cats dont get to trophy size and thats why I use them. Channel cats have the potential to get pretty heavy and thats why I throw them back.

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I caught a 30 lb blue and he coughed up about a 12 " channel cat just as I netted him in lake norman and I guy i know caught a 50 lber blue in norman and it also had channel inside and yes he kept the big fish what a shame.