Catfish Fins...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    If you have catfished for a given amount of time as I am sure most of us (if not all of us) here have, you might have been finned a time or two over the years...I have been finned by fish several times from bluegill to cats...one thing that I notice though is that when I get finned by a catfish, the sight starts to burn or itch after a while. This never happens with other fish though. A buddy of mine says that is because catfish have a certain amount of venom in the fin bones...I have heard this before but never believed it. Now Im starting to wonder...anyone ever heard of this?

2. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sorry bub i have heard this to, but do not know if it is fact or fiction. It is plausible like a lion fish, or several other species of fish. I've been spurred before myself and it does hurt more than any other fish i have been spurred by.

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I know a saltwater hardhead catfish can land you in emergency room for even minor puncture.

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I saw on Man vs. Wild were he was noodling and got finned. If I remember correctly he urinated on his hand to stop the pain. Something about the ammonia in our urine I think.

5. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I did a search to verify and they are in fact mildly poisonous. But it is only certain species like Bullheads and channels, they where the only two that i could find that it specificly stated where, but there could be more species that are here in the states.

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    yes when you get finned hurts like a sob catfish do have like a venom in there system yes they are predator but they are also pray when they are small also

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah, the fish that got me the other night was in fact a channel cat. Smaller one...so I guess I know now why it flared up. thanks guys!

8. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Wow! Thanks for the article! Looks like I have been getting off easy all these years!