Catfish Fins info please

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by playinghooky, Mar 24, 2007.

1. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Do the big blues still have the sharp stickers in there fins.And is there poisin in them.What can you use to lessen the pain?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    yes they still can stick you.soak your hand in coffee as hot as you can stand it or rub some of the catfish slime in the puncture or both.seems to help.

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    As far as I know there's only one species of catfish with poison in its fins. I know it hurts plenty to get finned good but there's no poison involved.

As far as a remedy I've always heard rub some slime from the cat's belly on the wound to curb the pain.

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    want to play, some times got to pay.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    LOL, Did you ever catch those little "stone cats" (Madtoms) and have those little suckers drive that little thing right up under your fingernail?! Poisonous or not that hurts! LOL :embarassed:

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They can all stab you, but the little ones are the worst because it's hard to get a grip on them. Pain only hurts for a minute. Suck it up, or go ba$$ fishing!LOL!! The teeth always hurt me the most. Especially if I'm on the water for a couple of days, and can't properly clean all those tiny scraches. My fingers swell up a bit. It's all just part of the game. Do bullheads, or madtoms have the mild venom? Anybody know?

7. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    its not poison on the catfish that hurts so bad.....its the bacteria in the slime itself. all are serated with small barbs, and a blue cat dont hurt near as bad as a saltwater hardhead. had one of the buggers get me in the knee and after tryin to jerk it out( only to break it off under my knee cap) i had to go to the emergency room to have it removed.......very unpleasant

8. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    when i think of venom, i think of injected poison...and bull heads and madtoms, along with every other species of catfish...dont have a hollow fin or poison glands to inject you with venom. the bacteria on the fish is what causes the infection and swelling, which can also vary in degree depending on the cleanliness of the water the fish came out of. shrimp, bluegill, or any other fish that fins you has the chance to become infected and sore if not taken care of properly...never underestimate even some of the simplest wounds that occur from marine life...you never know what kind of bacteria could be in the water

9. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    "What can you use to lessen the pain."
    Umm a glove. Sorry man, I just HAD to do that.

Anyway, the best thing I've ever done is to be really careful when/how I grab 'em.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I think all catfish will fin you & it'll smart. Wash it out good, and it oughta be alright.

I once saw some joker step on a catfish with flip flops on. The top dorsal fin went through the sandal & into the person's foot. It was ugly!! Stupid hurts.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes, they can fin you.

I have been finned and cut hundreds of times down through the years and it is usually a very tolerable pain. Yes, slime does seem to help. Most of the ones that get you are the small 6”-8” ones.

Well, last year while fishing Santee-Cooper with mudkip I was finned by a small five pound blue. The fish flopped at the right time and the fin went in about ¾” deep between my thumb and index finger. Apparently it hit a nerve or something, because the pain was one of the worse pains I have ever felt. It was to the point I could not close my hand. Unlucky for me the fish were biting good, and I was having to reel fish in by holding the rod with my wrist.

Being an ER nurse Mudkip asked me on the radio to rate the pain on a scale of 1-10. I said, "I am at a nine, and for me ten would be loss of consciousness". LOL!!

Be careful.

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Most have venom glands and from personal experience the bullheads are the worst

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never never, had a catfish to fin me yet.

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/07/50.htm The most credible source cofirming the toxicity of the "big 3" is MDC.(scroll down to the yellow box) Some sources suggest that the venom quickly degrades in temps above 60 deg. Who knows. All I know is that it is painful, and it hurts worse when the water is cold. Could easily be my immagination too.

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I don't think they have any poison, but they do hurt. I think the worst I ever got was from a 10 inch channel. It got me while I was trying to let him go:roll_eyes: , The dock I was fishing on looked like someone had been stabbed the next day!:eek:oooh:

16. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You shouldn't have said that man...you may have just gensked yourself.:big_smile:

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think so, I know how to handle catfish. :lol:

18. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric

How nasty the poison is dependent on the species and the age of the fish. A 5-100 lb catfish doesn't have many predators to worry about so their poison isn't as potent. Also bigger catfish have bigger spines so they are thicker and not as sharp or likely to stab you, all in addition to being easier to handle.

It's the young catfish or very small species that are often eaten by other fish that are the little bastids you have to watch out for else they'll stick ya good.

Much like bee stings, insect bites etc. it also depends on the person and how their body reacts to that specific toxin.