Catfish Filets

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gargoil77, Apr 20, 2008.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Filleted several cats tonight. Did it with an electric knife and after I was done, there was some yellow meat in the filet's. Is this bad meat and should I cut it out or will it be ok?
    They are in fridge right now in salt water.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Yellow aint a fillet from what Ive ever filleted fresh or salt. A ling cod has green fillets but thats about as easter egg fillet as Ive seen.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    HI Mark. When it's time to cook them. You can trim the yellowish colored fat off the fillets. It has a stronger, pungent flavor. Some guys might disagree, but I prefer only the white meat. To each there own.:0a26::0a18: The yellowish substance is the fatty content of the fillet.

4. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    Trim off the yellow for a better tasting fish.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Here in Oklahoma, the filet of a channelcat is pale yellow while the bluecat has white meat with a thin layer of red on the outside. The Flathead have white meat with a fat deposit that can be pale or bright yellow dependant on water temperature and time of year.

The filets can be trimmed, but I've never found the need to. I like the taste of fish. Flathead tastes different than Blue and channelcat is different again. Roll a combination of the filets in spiced cornmeal and brown gently. They all taste great with a favorite condiment and a tall cold brewski.:smile2: