Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Catfish fever

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  lobo 
#1 ·
I don't know about you guys, but i'm getting the itch to catch some cats. I was out crappie fishing today and noticed I was getting bored with the crappies. I commenced dto try to find some shad to net, but had no luck. I was going to try some shallow brush. Maybe tommorow i'll bring along some livers and give the kitties a pitch or two. The water temp is only 46 degrees, but we all have to start somewhere.

#4 ·
I netted up about 15lbs of shad at Cheney the other day. All of them about 8 - 10" long or so. Bagged them up and froze them, going to bring some of them to the tourney on the 31st, just in case we have trouble finding fresh. I gave a big bag full to my Dad, and going to make some chum out of the third bag.

#5 ·
Well, I tried for some cats at clinton today, but had no luck. I fished a brushy cove, with the wind blowing into it, near a creek channel. The water was a few degrees warmer than the rest of the lake. I thought for sure I would get some hits there. It did'nt happen though. Oh well I'll try again when the water gets a little warmer. Heck I only caught one small crappie today.

#6 ·
Unless it is real bad this weekend I am going to hit up the creeks and river around Riley and Geary county. Gonna stick lines everywhere I can. I caught fish on every line I had out last weekend, they were just babies tho. I probably wont start really fishing lakes for another month or so.

#8 ·
In my bass club this past Sunday at Big Hill lake, 1 of our guys caught a 44lb flathead on a jig & pig lure. Water time was 45 degrees. He said it took 40 feet of line when he sit the hook, battle it 5 minutes before landing it. He just weighted and let it go.

The Fever is getting out in Here!!

#16 ·
Steve, when I had a flatbottom I'd launch it just off from the bridgie on Moll Creek. We fished above and below the bridge, it's been so long ago though, I can't remember if we caught anything or not. I've seen folks catching Crappie from the bridge, not the new one though, it used to be an old wood plank and metal arch bridge. There were a lot of trees and log jams on each side, when they put in the new bridge, they pretty much sterilized both banks on both sides of the bridge, that may have caused the Catfish to leave?
Jerald and me caught a nice mess tonight, 14 Blues and Channels, biggest was only 4+ almost all on homemade dip bait, I'm going to post the pics in the Milford Lake thread.

#17 ·
Thanks, I had a few hooks bent out on my trotline Saturday morning. Instead of rebaiting it I just pulled it. To far of a drive for me. I think I am going to try on the river out here by the airfield on post this weekend, see if I have any better luck. After a hook change of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.