Catfish Fever?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by GoFish_Tony, May 16, 2006.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    My Grandpa used to take me fishing when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago. I've really not picked up a pole till this year. Guys, I am so new to this whole catfish fishing thing, that I have yet to catch my first catfish (of any kind and any size) yet this year.

However, now at the age of 45, the kids out of the house, and my wonderful wife encouraging me to "find a hobby", I have found fishing to be exactly what I am looking for. I like all the new technolgy as well as the "ol' timer secrets", and most of all like that this isn't easy!

My comment/question to you all is... how do you all make it through till the next time you can go fishing? It seems like I am spending WAY too many hours reading all the forums here at BOC and then all I can think about is getting back out to the water.

I've drooled at items at the sporting goods store and have spent hours stalking items on eBay. Shoot I have even been spending my nights out in the back yard picking up nightcrawlers. All that only seems to add to my .... ummm...frustration.

What works for you? What might help me? Is this serious? Do I need help? LOL.. so many questions and far too few answers.

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Man, I feel your pain. I have started just getting out in the evening, even if its only for a couple hours 2-3 times a week. Might even just be throwing worms for 'gills, but I'm fishing, and that's good enough.

:dribble:

3. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC!!! All I can tell ya is, it's a difficult condition to live with. lol What I do is read all I can. Both on here and in magazines. Somehow it seems to get me through till next time. Good luck with your new "condition".

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You sound like me, if I'm not fishing or out with my friends, I'm either sitting at home watching playoff basketball or on the BOC. I'm a fishing finatic, I'm obsessed haha. I can't wait because I've only got a few days left of school and after that it's 3 months off and in between work, all there is to do is fish everyday:big_smile: . Right now I try and get out several times a week after school if the weather permits me. I'm not always going after catfish, but fishing is fishing to me. I love my obsession with me, it's my ultimate relaxation activity.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ..."how do you all make it through till the next time you can go fishing"

I LOVE IT!!!

You got a fever of 105!!!

You sound like me brother. I talked to a friend the other day while on my boat fishing and I asked when he was out fishing last, and he said about three weeks. I said, ARE YOU NUTS!!!

If I am not fishing I am reading about it, spooling reels, tieing rigs, or scrolling through the TiVo to see what fishing shows I have not watched.

Everything you and everyone else has mentioned I have done!! LOL!! The good news is that there ain't a thing wrong with it.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    AHHHH, tony,tony,tony. You have been smitten by the great catfish god. From this day forward you will read all matters about catfish, you will dream of huge catfish, you will always want that " one more piece of tackle be it rod or reel. You are in deep stuff my friend.
    My best advise for you, tony, is ENJOY it while you can. We will help you.

:surrender:

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Tony, You have been aclimated into the world of catfishing and there is no turning back, LOL!!! Welcome to the BOC!!!

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can relate. I spend a lot of time here at BOC, reading the magazines, and studying knot tying then teaching my brother-in-law how to tie them. My biggest problem is that when the fishing gets good, my business is keeping me working a lot. I've sorted out my tackle box twice already this spring and watched all the fishing shows on OLN. If I don't get back to the water, I'm going to go POSTAL!

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Tony - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: Ain't no cure for your new disease! Just have to keep on reading and buying fishin' stuff and makin' sinkers and puttin' new line on reels and catchin' bait and uhhh excuse me I have to go check on my cooler of live Bluegills!:big_smile:

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    It's the fever all right and you can't stop it . Starve a cold and feed a fever and the way you fed catfish fever is by doing all the stuf like making stinkbait and chum, catching bait ( I just saw a thread on hellgramites and got real excited) , spend some money at C C (I just got an order and my debit card is still bleeding) , Plan some trips for BOC gatherings,and just get laoded up and go catfishing.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

11. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Don't worry. I already know that "bass" is a "four letter word. *reaching for my bar of soap*
    The illusive cats are the SPORT fish that I want to persue.

And as far as the FEVER goes... Thanks guys, you have been of very little help. LOL just kidding.:smile2:

I guess it's true what they say: "misery loves company". It's good to see that I am suffering this ailment in such good a company as yours.

12. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    HELLO MY NEW FRIEND! i dont think its an obsession as long as you dont go crazy like steal and cheat your way. all i can say is its FUN TO CATCH THEM CATS. im new to catfishing only on my first year working on my second but what i use for cats is dip worms with sonnys super sticky channelcat bait and that works also small gills will work too shiners too! well get on the chattin board and lets go ahead and talk it up!:lol: :big_smile: :confused2:

13. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    You have what is known as Catfishidis! It is a relatively new disease and everyone here has a bad case of it. There is only one known cure and that is to get on the water as often as possible and fish till you can't fish anymore. It works for me and I think I can stand to be off the water for a few days at a time now, but then it rears it ugly head again and the fever starts, the twitching in my hand and I hear these strange voices calling to me to come catch me. I tell you it drives me crazy sometimes.

14. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Tony,
    I also have the catfish fever. I have had it ever sense I bought my boat. The only cure I have found for the fever is as follows:
    1. Work a lot of overtime. This will help you from thinking catfish all the time.
    2. After work, ask the wife if she has any chores you can do around the house. I myself find that doing dishes isnt a good idea, "water."
    3. Pull weeds from the driveway. That seems to work well until I look up and see the boat.
    4. Donate your catfishing gear to me. I will make promise to take good care of it.:roll_eyes:
    If none of these ideas work for you them do like I do about 3 times a week. I just go fishing!

Good luck Tony

15. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    OK, so I bought my first jar of Sonny's Super Sticky Channelcat bait. GOD, does that stuff stink to high heaven!:embarassed: Maybe I got a bad jar... or sump'in. I mean... gheeesh.

I got ripped off at a car rental place once, would have loved to have left them a dab of this down the heat vents. Anybody come up with any other uses for this stuff?

Is fishing supposed to be this fun! LOL:lol:

16. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I know how you feel it has been so long sense I have been fishing. My fishing partner is my wife and she has been real sick lately so have not been able to go. Maby a couple weeks more and we will be able to get out. We never catch much either. biggest we have gotten this year is about 1/2 pound then only one or two on an outing. I know things will get better for both of us all we have to do is keep trying. Good luck LarryW

17. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Tony,
    Are you headed out fishing this weekend? And if so, were are you headed to? I think I might be headed down to Ottawa and fish the Illinois River. I live in Earlville, about 20 miles from you and if you need some help finding spots let me know.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Tony, welcome to the boc!