Catfish don't....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Blind In Texas, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    eat shad....cut, whole, or live.

eat tilapia...cut, whole, or live.

eat perch...cut, whole, or live.

eat stink bait...cut, whole, or live.

eat baby copperheads.

eat deer tongues.

eat deer neck meat.

bite at night.

bite in the morning.

bite during the day.

bite between 5:47 pm and 6:47 pm, 10:47 pm and 11:47 pm, 5:46 am and 6:46 am.

during high water.

during low water.

during no water.

during too much water.

are smarter than an almanac.

are smarter than me.

are not even in the river.

are in the river and just don't like me.

I think I hate fishing. I think the fish in the Brazos spoke with the fish in the Colorado, the slough, the bayous, and anyhwere else I may contemplate fishing. Apparently I am allowed no more than a half dozen fish per 3 1/2 month period, of which, I have fished every weekend (sometimes twice) and at least once during the week. At least two hours at a time every time I go.

Trotlining is out of the question now. There is no way in hell I am going to hassle out a trotline, from a kayak, just to check it then take it up with no fish to show for it.

I think those monster water releases from Whitney and/or Granbury and/or Possum Kingdom have killed fishing in the Brazos coastal area.

I think that if I have one more stupid fruitless expedition I will chalk it up to my insanity and retire permanently. This has gone far beyond the joy of outdoors and the love of nature and serenity. It isn't very serene in my head with all the mental profanity and growling on the inside.

It is no longer a hobby. Hobbies are for fun. This is more like an addiction to something I don't enjoy anymore. Kind of like....working. Fishing should not be work. I have cleaned exactly TWO FISH with my new electric knife I got for Christmas.

End of rant.

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    if ur workn that hard then its bound to happn the day u give up is the day there bitin. lol. and ur signature is awesome. kinda like mine. lol

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    one problem heer i see is I didnt know stink bait came in a 'live' variety...lmao

4. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    now that u mention it me either

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Hang in there brother.It might take longer than you want,but sooner or later all the pieces of the puzzle will come together.You,ll get them first couple monsters and then there aint no goin back!:eek:

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i think what he's sayin is,if it was in live version,he would'nt even catch one on it.

hang in there bro.,it will happen.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  7. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    and again good point. dident think of that.

8. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Thanks, guys. I am just losing my patience. Fishing has been so bad I won't even go by myself anymore. My 13 year old son is my best fishing buddy ever and if he doesn't feel like going I won't either. Maybe I should just lay off it for a while. At least until I start missing it, but, what good is not fishing for ONE day ;)

Thanks for the motivation!

9. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Since I bellyached about not catching any I should declare that I caught some blues tonight!! WOOHOO!!! I used my favorite 'go to' technique. Large brass swivel, 18" mono leader, and a 7/0 Eagle Claw circle hook. I baited up with a palm sized gill and tossed it in. Less than 5 minutes later that 10# blue was on the bank!!! Had a few more bites but, no fish. My son landed 5# and 2# blues on cut common carp. They are bloody bloody.

We were so happy. Time just passed right on by until my wife called and 9;30pm and got on to me cuz the boy has testing tomorrow. OOOOPS. We didin't care. We were just happy to be catching and not fishing!!

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Congrats to you and your son on the catching!Sounds like your starting 2010 off right!:wink:

11. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Yeah....whatever you do , don't give up!! There are spots that I've traveled to for over 2 years with no fish.
    Albeit in the 3rd year , I broke the slump. Hell , even though my car is out of commission , I still manage to fish using public transit. Now I have to walk 1 or 2 miles to the lake after getting off , but given the fact I've been stressed out due to the car being broken into while at a supposedly secure repair shop , a trip with no results is better than sitting home pissed at persons unknown who damaged my car further than it already was. I just wish I had a way to make it to the lakes 50 miles away , but that's another chapter.

12. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Thanks everyone. I enjoyed being able to smile at this post and it's responses. It feels good.

Mason, you are an inspiration. I never go to NC but, if I did, I would sure as hell take you fishing in a second. That's motivation and I dig the philosophy. Wish I could thank a post twice.

If a fish ever drags me UP the current on the Brazos I will probably wait until he dies of old age before I lug him up to the yak. ;)

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    During certain times of the year, we sometimes have to change our patterns just as the fish do. In other words, you just have to go where the fish are. Our spots that yield nice catches in the summer might result in skunks in the winter. I travel from 40 to 100 miles in the winter to get on fish, but it's worth every minute of the travel to do so. As stated, don't give up, but maybe change your winter strategy.
    Bill in SC

14. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I didn't see "skip-Jacks on the list of DOOM:cloudy: acquire some & fish is my sugesstion ....if they aint bitin skips there not around or have lip-lock!!!!:quiet: Hang tuff man!!!!!