Catfish DO eat Bream!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Randync, May 30, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was fishing at Lookout Shoals the other night with my son Chris. We were testing some new el cheapo rods we had bought. I got snagged and the reel made a funny noise and would not reel in. I dropped the rod for a bit to watch my other one (was getting a bite) Chris walked out into the water (the snag was about 5 feet from the bank in knee deep water) when he pulled the line, a Catfish (Id say about 3-5 pounds) was on the other end of it. The cat slid off and there had been a Bream which I had actually caught (on nightcrawlers) and the Cat was trying to eat the bream. So I now will start trying bream as bait, which Ive never done before.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Probably 90% of the cats I catch are on bream. Crappie and perch work well too if you can catch them.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Bluegills are excellent bait. Whole and cut, the heads work great as cut bait.

4. bigflatheadfisherman

bigflatheadfisherman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    The main thing I use for bait around here is bream heads and they work great!:confident:

5. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We usually catch alot of bream (I usually take 3 or 4 kids with me) for my mom, who loves to eat em. I just recently got back into fishing the last 2 years or so. I guess Ive got to branch out my bait choices to catch the big cats. Ive been using livers and various mixtures of homemade dip baits, plus good ole night crawlers.

6. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yeah randy, im on high rock lake and brim heads is mainly what i use also.some shad but they are like a one shot deal.ill use white bass also,when i cant catch the brim. the cats here seem to be not so active lately, ive been several times and only catch 1 or 2 channels , not sure whats up with them.hopefully they will pick up soon. but ill fish 2 rods on bottom and 2 on top.heads on bottom live on top. i have found that the channels like to run the banks early mornings and night searching for food. HAPPY FISHING!!:big_smile:

7. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

State:
    kings,mtn N.C.
    it also helps if you sorta soak em in bacon grease they really luv em then:smile2:

8. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I can catch plenty of rock bass about 4 inches long, that might work as well. Thanks for the tips guys, this site is great!

9. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Randy, 'round here, we use live bream 4-6 inches long hooked through the back. Flatheads love 'em. Occasionally you will catch one on cut bream, but I have better luck with live. The 35 lb'er in my picture was on a bream head from a bream about 6 inches long.