The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catfish Dave has a recent video where the wildlife officers came to him, him anchored, lines out, and told him to turn off his fixed mounted spot light. This is my pet peeve. I preach it often because people, for some reason, don't seem to get it. Sometimes, I wonder if they realize it's even on. In his response, he acts like it's so that other's will see him. Does he not realize that other's can't see to navigate? That's it's annoying being blinded even if your anchored? He's no rookie, so I'm surprised that he has not been blinded many nights on the water and saw first hand the effect of it. I understand that many use it to navigate, but turn it off when you get where your going. Don't be a rookie, turn it off

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,119 Posts
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Dave has only had a boat for a few months. If that’s the case, he might be considered a rookie boater.
That said, we don’t park cars with the headlights on so we can be seen so it’s just common sense really.
When I’m out at night I prefer as little light as possible and would turn off the white anchor light most times if I could get away with it.

...W

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
556 Posts
please make sure you keep your nav lights on, and led lights if you have them. two weeks ago we had a pontoon fishing the ohio, without lights from what i hear, and a speed boat ran right over top of them, killed a guy i grew up with and one other.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,119 Posts
please make sure you keep your nav lights on, and led lights if you have them. two weeks ago we had a pontoon fishing the ohio, without lights from what i hear, and a speed boat ran right over top of them, killed a guy i grew up with and one other.
David,
I hate to hear of things like that; sorry for your loss.
Although I prefer to use ambient light (it’s rarely totally dark out there) I would never be out there without lights on but I’ve had some near misses even with the lights on both with party barges full of drunks and, sad to say, other fishermen who should know better.

...W

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,862 Posts
Got some good lights on front of my boat. Switch handy when going in. If other boats around will turn them off. When past them, back on. Have had entire trees come down river at me when waiting to get to ramp.

If folks are bank fishing will turn them off also. May turn lights on for a couple seconds just to make sure no logs in my way.

For interior lights got led strips mounted under gunwall. Of course the headlamp for landing fish.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
674 Posts
Yes Dave is a rookie in a boat. The lights main purpose is for filming.

Its not a big deal to me. Of course i fish lakes mostly so you can always swing wide of someone. I dont care for someone to drive with them on. Really handy when approaching bank.

Reactions: Welder and prlwng

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Dave is a rookie in a boat. The lights main purpose is for filming.

Its not a big deal to me. Of course i fish lakes mostly so you can always swing wide of someone. I dont care for someone to drive with them on. Really handy when approaching bank.
Hmmm, I did not consider that it may be a filming light. I assumed it was his nav light. Not sure now? Edit, just looked at the video. They approached him at the rear... His filming light is pointed to the rear. I don't know

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, I did not consider that it may be a filming light. I assumed it was his nav light. Not sure now? Edit, just looked at the video. They approached him at the rear... His filming light is pointed to the rear. I don't know
Yea, I watched the video, he explains, this is filming lights, not navigation lights left on

·
Administrator
10,418 Posts
I all seems pretty simple. Dave did not have his Anchor light on. He did have his bright filming light on. The filming lights blind approaching boats. The Anchor light is required and having a filming light on doesn't change that.

Dave's purpose for bing there was to film. The DNR Officers purpose is to make sure everyone complies with the regulations and to insure there are no unnecessary safety hazards.

I like Catfish Dave's videos but the DNR Officer is in the right.

I often fish water where there are no other boats. When I do I will often turn all my lights out. I use rod tip LEDS or chem Sticks. When a boat is seen and it is always heard, I turn my anchor light on.

Those that use bright driving lights on the water and cars that park and leave their bright lights shinning on the water are a real pain.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
829 Posts
I fish the bank on dinky little creeks compared to the Tennesee and others and have observed a hot bite shutting off from someone shining a bright light across the water. I tend to be very frugal with light under these circumstances. Clearly if the water is deep enough it doesn't affect fishing but I can see how it can cause a navigation wreck. Wish folks were as thoughtful on the road. My bride has a mild cataract and someone approaching or following too close with brights on will blind her.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Traders Point, Indiana USA
2,067 Posts
Dave's gonna have to step up his stagecraft game. Filming at night is a real challenge, I've tried it too. The use of light baffles is a must, that way you can limit the amount of light that travels laterally. You've got to mount the light high up on a pole and point it almost straight down, then still install baffles so the light focuses solely on you and your boat... and all the bugs lol!

·
Administrator
10,418 Posts
Very true. Setup is very important. Shining the bright light out of a length of black stove pipe would focus it to where it is needed and protect the surrounding area. Still by reg you would be required to have the anchor light on.

Reactions: Welder

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,862 Posts
Like I said, if other boats around will only use forward lights for a sec or two. Going as slow as I go at night like to make sure nothing in front of me. If folks are bank fishing will have them off also.

On one of his shows he showed a log branch pile coming downstream. When it is pitch black out one would run into that. Most places out here there are no shore llights from houses docks or other things. You are lucky enough to see tree top line against starlite sky.

The bow fishing boats do not know how blinding those lights are when they are running full speed to dam.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I try hard not to look at the boat lights. They mess up my night time acclimation.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I watched the video again... I think Catfish Dave likely did not have the typical blinding light that creates the most problems.... but... was approached by Wildlife enforcers whom had seen it often and were targeting that issue, although he was likely not a good example of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've run the ef white at night/o dark 30 in the morning a number of times. I have an amber led light bar I stick on the front for night time running. If I'm running it's on as that river is snag filled and gets shallow. I'm running a jet and pretty have to stay on plane to run through all the shallows and riffles. If I didn't have that light it wouldn't be possible you'd hit a snag or log real quick. But I'm one of only a few that I've ever encountered on it in a boat at night. But it's off once I'm to where I'm going and fishing, nav lights and anchor light stay on in the rare case someone else is on there in a boat at night too. The amber isn't near as blinding as the white ones, doesn't glare as bad, but lights the way well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts