Catfish & crawdads - does anyone use them for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Rockin' Blues, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Does anyone like crawdads?I have found that sometimes taking there pinchers off helps.I have also just used there tail.When I put them on live I hook them between the tail and body,anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    yeah i use crawdads all the time. the are great channel bait. i take the pincers off to. i don't know why but i think it is just better. i just hook them once straight through the tail.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, I do the same. I also like to float them on a bobber in spring.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    :) Not to sound dumb but, how do you go about catching crawdads?

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Most folk's use baited traps to trap them,but I'm sure you could find them at bait shops

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    when in season i get mine from a local fish market for usually < $2.00 a pound. live and the bigger the better. hook em thru the tail. my experience around here tho is that while cats will eat them it seems to be a more effective bait for goo, which is a trash fish. (freshwater drum, croaker, et.al ) so ill use them as a last resort bait when they arent hitting anything else.

some of the bait shops will carry mudbugs but these are usually the babies which are used for bream and crappie fishing.

they make crawfish nets you can use to catch your own. or make your own too.
    if youve ever seen a maryland style crab trap net the design is the same.
    piece of about quarter inch netting about one foot square and two pieces of wire bent in such a way as to spread the net wide from opposing corners. (think of how the support poles work on one of those pop up tents) tie a piece of bacon in the middle of the net and set it down in the water. put out a bunch of them and check them every hour or so. an old broom handle with an eye hook in the end of it makes placement/checkin these things a snap.

happy fishing

7. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    to catch crawdads get some bacon or ham and some fishing line. go down to a small creek that isnt really large enough for fish and tie some of the bacon or ham on your line then toss it in the water and wait until your line moves then slowly bring the line towards you but dont bring the crawdad in to fast they will let go quickly and i would have a small dip net ready to put under the crawdad to keep him from dropping back into the water once you pull him out of the water

hope this helps

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I appreciate the replys, not real familiar using crawdads. With the line and bacon, that is real similar to how we would catch crabs in the bay in new jersey. We would use a 20 to 30 foot piece of heavy fishing line a hook and a minnow put it out and 9 times out of ten a crap would have ahold of it, slowly pull in till you start to see the shadow of the crap and scoop with a long net, caught alot like that.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heres a tip.instead of hooking the crawdad wrap a rubberband around the middle of it.Then slip your hook in between the rubberband and the crawdad with the hook point pointing up.That way the crawdad last longer and hes free to move around and do his thing to attract the fish.

10. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I always catch my crayfish with my hands. I catch the bigguns bygrabbing their antennae and pulling em out that way. I also like to use my seine net in the grass areas of the creek. That way you can catch helgramites at the same time.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used crawdads many times, with very poor results.....Live or fresh cut bait, chicken livers, crawlers, all of these have outproduced crawdads for me.

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    in the red river were i fish, crawfish will catch a lot of fish. only problem is very few of them will be catfish. goo and white bass love them but i've never seen them outfish shad or skipjack for cats. pretty much of a last resort bait for me.

13. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I also like to float crawdads along brush and weedlines. If the cats aren't bitin' I've caught loads of drum just for fun! :D

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've caught plenty of carp on them also,not much luck on r&r,but sometimes on trot line.

Instead of breaking off the pinchers,I crush them with pliers to release scent

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I was watching the show dirty jobs last night and sure enough they had an episode on about catching crawfish, the trap they were using was pretty simple. Like a small diameter fencing folded in half closed at the top and side with two entrance points at the bottem. They were using cut up shad for bait. This guy on the show said he had 300 traps put out, good grief. I wonder if that would work around here, I mean could ya catch enough for the effort. Question if you caught enough and they were descent size what about eating them? :cool:

16. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I nver much used hard craws except for smallies in the rivers, But Softcraws(moulting-shedding craws) are a top choice river cat bait. to get those you have to get out to the creeks that hold craws and seine them in grass at night in spring. Every full moon as a rule they moult from spring thru summer, theyll also moult after a good rain(guess more food gets washed to waters). U can buy them for no less then 6bux a dozen at some bait shops, that's why i caught my own. Softcraws are hard to beat all spring summer long. Try these instead of hardcraws. All crawfish moult so even if all u get is landcraws, u can find them soft. Sometimes u get what are called peelers. These are ones that are about to moult but havent yet. I always keep them also. I just squeeze them lightly(kinda like a soft boiled egg) and peel. I pull of pinchers and save them. Most people saythey are the best part if u put a few on the hook. YOU just cant beat a soft craw.

17. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Oh yeah. Most people have a problem keeping softcraws on the hook, if that's you, here's what u can do. Hook them through the tail and bring the hook out the midsection(point facing down/away from craw) then turn the hook around facing the craw. Pull up to head(underside still) and insert into mouth area. Now ur weedless and no matter how hard u throw it only sets the hook deeper into the craw. This is a dynamite way to go with a small weight right at the tail of the craw in rivers. Hed just bump along bottom (backwards, natural) slightly raised....I tell u u cant beat it!....Hope this helps.

18. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Yes, I have tried to eat crawfish. While fishing for smallies in a large creek, I noticed a lot of large crawfish. So, keeping this in mind, a few weeks later i found myself in Bass Pro Shops. While i was there, I was buying a new cat pole, and i saw some crawfish traps. I bought one, along with a nice livewell net and set out for the creek. I found that the net will catch much bigger crawfish than the trap will. When you cook them, you want to bring a pot of water and salt to a boil. Then place the LIVE crayfish in the pot. They will turn a bright red almost instantly. Let boil for 5-7 mins. than eat. I only eat the tails, because they have a lot of organs in the upper half of their bodies. In the tail, there is the intestine, looks like a long brown tube. Just pull this out, dip the tail in butter, and eat. They taste just like lobster!

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I use a crawfish drag, If the crawfish ( I like the ones that are 1 1/2" long) are out here I can catch a few thousand in a hour or so.
    Here the crawfish bring .10 cents each for the small ones. Like 1" to 2" for white bass.
    In the river here you will catch more drum, White bass on them then catifsh. But fish them in the lake and the catfish love them/
    Sure wish i had a place down south to catch the small ones. I think I would make a trip or so to stock up on them.
    Also if anyone would like a picture of the crawfish drag I will try to post one of it.
    IT has a long handle in it. And a frame made out of 1/4" rebar then covered with wire.
    Pete

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know about anybody else, but I'd like to see some pictures of that crawfish drag, Pete. Also instructions on its use.