Catfish Cradle?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Bomberman, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Bear with me...I was watching an episode of Hooked on the TIVO recently and they were trying to find out why White Sturgeon weren't reproducing in the Columbia River in Washington State and Canada. They were trying to catch these sturgeon and transport them to a hatchery to remove eggs for raising in tanks. The showed a cradle that they would put the sturgeon in that rested on the sides of the boat with the fish suspended in water in the middle. It looked to be made out of some kind of tarp material with wooden poles for handles. I was thinking that this would be an ideal item to have aboard my boat in case I caught a record Catfish and wanted to transport it for certification and then release it again. I don't need a large livewell taking up space in my boat for a once-in-a-lifetime event and I don't fish tournaments...all of my fishing is CPR.

So, does any one have any idea where you might find one of these cradles? I've done some web surfing but all I find are the ones made of netting. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i havent seen any for sale but building one wouldnt be too difficult,..if the material was flexible enough you could roll it up and store it easily as well..

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I may end up doing that but thought I'd take an easier route first. The idea of rolling it up and storing it out of the way is very appealing.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Chuck, all of those devices are hand made.

I would try to find some type of slick rubber material since this would do less damage to the slime coating than a cotton or nylon mess.

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Thanks for the reply, WylieCat.

I have since fashioned my own from a couple pieces of conduit piping for the handles and used an old tarp as the sling material...works very well and it straps to the railing on my boat. Thanks again for the reply.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Sounds line you've got under control...... I think that i have heard of musky fishermen doing the same..

Great idea for CPR.... of big cats....

7. Flatline

Flatline New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There are commercially available products that are marketed mostly at muskie fishermen.

A friend of mine made a DIY cradle out of 1 inch wooden dowels and that orange plastic fencing you see on construction sites where they fence off dangerous areas where they are moving dirt. He attached the plastic to the dowels with about 100 zip ties. I saw a whole bunch of plasitc mesh at Lowe's that is made for protecting gardens from deer that I bet would work as good as the store bought net as long as you took the time to overbuild it.

These cradles are so much more gentle on large fish than the traditional net or lip pliers. A huge benefit to this system is that you can measure/ photo/ weigh them all on the side of the boat either in the water or barely out of it. To weigh em, just subtract the weight of your cradle from the total.

8. Flatline

Flatline New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  9. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Can you post some pics would like to see how it turned out...got to love home made gear....