Catfish Courtbouillon

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by lforet2002, Jul 2, 2009.

1. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just can't believe no ones posted a courtbouillon( pronounce koo-be-yawn) recipe..The best fish to use for courtbouillon is flathead catfish..It was difficult for me to put together a recipe cause I never really measure anything but the other day I made some and kinda kept track of the ingredients a lil bit..I usually use fresh ingredients from my garden but I guess you can sub in store bought stuff..Heres what I put together..

Cajun Catfish Courtbouillon (about 6-8 servings)

Ingredients:

2 medium onions, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    1 large bunch fresh parsley,chopped
    1 large bell pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    About a 10 lb flathead
    Toney Chachere creole seasoning, to taste
    2-3 cayenne peppers finely chopped, to taste
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
    1/4 cup water
    2 lemon slices
    1 large bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon whole thyme leaves

Preparations:
    Combine vegetables, divide in half, and set aside.
    Skin,remove the head and clean your flatty( I usually steak mine but you can fillet it.Steaking it will hold the meat together),generously sprinkle each piece with Toney's, and chopped cayenne pepper and set aside. Put oil in a large cast iron pot(works best with a cast iron pot..I've never cooked it in anything else), top with half of fish pieces. Place half of vegetable mixtures over fish, top with 1 tablespoon flour, then 3/4 cup tomato sauce. Repeat layers with remaining fish pieces, vegetables, flour and tomato sauce. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat for one hour or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Shake pot frequently to keep fish from sticking to the bottom ( DO NOT STIR...Stirring will break up the fish). Add additional seasonings before serving if you want..

Hope this is good..Like I said I usually put this together on the fly and cook to the way I like the taste..I kinda eased off some of the ingredients cause I usually put a lot of everything in there..If you try it let me know how it came out..

2. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    P.S.

Someone reminded me(thanks by the way) courtbouillon is served over rice..But what I like to actually like to do is serve it over open face french bread..

3. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What's a Foret doing in Tennessee in the first place?

4. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Moved up here after Katrina..You know any Foret's??

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the recipe. Sounds really good

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Oh yeah, I will be making this one. Going into my recipe catfish recipe pile. Sounds right up my alley.

Thanks for sharing.

7. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    hot digity that sounds good. gonna have to try it soon. thanks for the recipe.

8. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have to be careful while driving to and from school to keep from running over Foret kids playing in the street.

9. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds about right..Theirs an infestation of them all over Louisiana..Theirs no more room down there so we had to move to Tennessee..