Catfish Corner

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by brother hilljack, Oct 31, 2009.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I need your help!! A local shop has ask for my help in setting up a "Catfish Corner" in their shop. This shop has walls upon walls of Bass stuff and have recently seen the shift of local fishermen to catfishing.

I know what I use for catfishing, but I would like to construct an area that would please the majority of catfishermen.

Please tell me what type of terminal tackle (or other hard to find accessory) you all prefer or any other items that you feel are necessary to catfishing.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Large floats, Secret 7 dip bait, beads for bobber stops, Bigger hooks. He needs to talk to the local fishermen to see what is used in that area. What we use here in Okla. may not work as well there. Reps to you for helping him.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You know what the magority of fishermen use Shane. My advice would be, go with the obvious most on here use for tackle. And don't get too much overhead items! Alot depends on area, and location of the store, You can always order what folks are requesting for the systems close by and how they are fishing! I have seen good bait stores go all out, and be out of business because of poor management for the local angler!:wink: Buy the typical items, and go from there man! Goodluck...rollo

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Big hooks, big sinkers, big swivels and strong line. LOL

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane I agree with all of the above post. This would be a great opportunity to plug the BOC Sponsors Products.

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont know if the shop sells bait, but if so I would suggest large shiners or goldfish, and possibly perch if it is legal...

Then a lot of shops I have been to do not have things for fishing at night, i.e. laterns, fuel, ect....

Also a pet peeve of mine is stringers, good heavy duty rope ones....

Then a good selection of weights, no rolls in about ever size, most places I have been only have a couple of sizes.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    hey hilljack......I live on one of the biggest lakes in Georgia and there's numerous marina's and bait shops within a short drive of my house. Yet, I still have to drive about an hour and half to basspro for several items I can't get here. 1/2# spools of ande line, 8/0 gamakatsu circle hooks, 10/0 King khale hooks, and heavy duty swivels (not the brass ones you can get at wal-mart). I also like to get the small packs of 60# leader line, I know it's the same as the line on the 1/2# spool......yet it's just a matter of conveneince for me. Sounds like a great opportunity to sell your sponsor monster rod holders too, and to advertise your tournament series........I don't buy my weights from any tackle shop due to mark up.......but that would be an automatic item to carry I would think.......basically just terminal tackle....catfishermen are mostly pretty thrifty, but ya gotta have terminal tackle.

8. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    What he said massey is the man and have them to check out Big Stuff Tackle drift weights

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Make life easy Shane. When a local shop opened here and had no real catfish gear, I gave them a catfish connection catalog, everything's there in black and white. :wink:

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Zactly what i was thinking. Perhaps a shad net or two and some big dip nets. Shilo Red and Team Catfish hooks and terminal tackle will sell anywhere folks catfish.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one thing id sugest is to keep some cheeper tackel to.not all cat catchers are gonna spend a dollar a hook.id keep some tackel for folks who like to make their own trot lines to.dont over stock keep inventory diverse but dont spend a lot on items that are going to gather dust before they sell.

12. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for all the great input! I will be keeping it simple and I am not sure how much my shop is willing to commit.

BassMassey, I can assure you that most of the items on your list are already on my list. I have tried to stick with what most folks are talking about. I will have to check on the line though. I know I put the large Berkley monos on the list and of course the power pro braid.

Diversity is important, but let's face it, we never hear anyone talking about 6/0 circle hooks. I have some in my tackle box, but they are used very rarely.

The shop already stocks many of the items that we would all use; nets, cast nets, rod holders, rod/reel combos. So the focus is what items we would need to put in our tackle box. Everyone has been very helpful and I hope you all get a chance to check out Catfish Corner 0nce it is all set up!

And yes, you will be able to get your Monster Rod Holders and Tangling with Catfish rods here!!:wink::smile2:

13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Shane here is the link to BIG STUFF Tackle. Hope it helps

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks Sunbird. I will check it out

15. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Reps to a catfish brother that is willing to help. At our local shops I look over stuff every time I am in there. Have noticed that the medium price range tackle seems to sell the best. In talking with the owners, they state that even though they try to convince their customers that they will eventually come back for the better grade of tackle, the mid range stuff always sells out first. Guess a feller just has to live and learn--if like me , it was the hard way.

16. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    hooks, sinkers,floats,line,and the one thing you cant catch fish with out, especialy hear on our lake . a good supply of bait

17. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Have some special deal coupons from the local guides, you know how generous they are.:smile2: