Catfish Connection disagreement...opinions anyone?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rcbbracing, Sep 22, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay guys I want to start by saying I am not here to badmouth ANY company. I want your honest opinion on if this seems fair to you and what you would do in my shoes. We were out last Saturday the 19th. I casted my Catfish Connection Abu Garcia 7000i rod and reel combo that I had just received. When I received it, I was very happy. The rod seemed pretty stiff for a medium heavy and they were out of 7 footers so I told them just to send me the 8 footer, unfortunately it was a two piece rod. I put brand new 40lb test Trilene big game line on it, also purchased from Catfish Connection along with a plethora of other equipment. To tell you the extent of my purchases this year, I have spent a little over 700 dollars with this company in the past 6 months. I would consider this to be a pretty decent account that the company wouldn’t want to lose. Well anyway, this was the first time out with the new setup. We went out with new line new reel new pole…Man I was I excited. You all know the feeling. I casted into the channel with a BIG shiner…maybe 8inches? Set there about an hour till around 10pm. The clicker slowly starts to roll away and I got up, I gave him a little bit of slack, shut the clicker and free spool off. He loaded the rod up nice and tight and I reared back to set the hook and the rod held for about 2 seconds before it exploded at the joint fraying my line. Another two minutes with just one eye on the rod and I lost him. Anyhow I called Catfish Connection today thinking they might help me out since I owned it all of a week and used it all of an hour. The lady on the other end had me hold for five minutes and a guy came on. I told him the situation and I was very polite and respectful at first. He told me that they would stand behind the rod BUT I had to ship it to them (on my wallet) and the reel had to go with it. That’s when I started to get kinda $hitty with him. All I could think about was the fact that the fall bite is just around the corner, I would have to wait who knows how long to get my ROD AND REEL back. I told him I wasn’t comfortable paying shipping on something that wasn’t my fault and if he felt comfortable enough to sell a product he should be comfortable enough to stand behind it 100% including replacement shipping. He told me to send it back to Abu cuz that’s all he was going to do with it anyhow. He also had no intent on replacing the brand new line on the 7000. I would save it myself but have no reel to backspool it on. The setup cost me 100 dollars new and the reel new is like 90…Why am I going to pay $20 for shipping and new line when the rod technically cost me $10. I was pretty upset by all this since I’ve spent so much money with a company that doesn’t value my business, so I asked if he could have someone call me tomorrow cuz I didn’t have a pen on me for Abu’s # and to be honest I just wanted to calm down before talking to him anymore. He then told me that it would be a waste of time to talk to someone new the next day because he was the owner and no employee could help me if he couldn’t. I couldn’t believe someone would throw away $700 worth of business for $20 worth of shipping. I realize I am pretty upset and may not be thinking perfectly clear but this doesn’t seem fair to me and I just wanted to hear what you all had to say. Maybe I’m the one being unreasonable, I dunno. But with two other BOC members telling me I shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for shipping, that gave me enough doubt that I’m willing to ask what you all think. Does this seem fair? Should I deal with them anymore at all? What would you do in my shoes? THANKS GUYS I APPRECIATE IT!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    First off, you should not have bought a combo, those rods that go with those 7000i reels suck...I have seen one break also.

Now back to the story, he should have sent you a new rod on the spot, and paied to have the old one shipped back.

I have spent several thousand dollars with catfish connection, and never had any problems with them.

But he treated you wrong, and you were right.

Abu makes great reels for catfish, but I dont like there rods at all, get you an american spirt nite stick.

It seems that catfish connection has grown to big.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well to tell the truth this is how pretty mutch all companys do replacements on broken rods, you pay to ship the broken rod back they pay to ship you the new replacement. thats how it works. for a el cheepo rod like that that costs more to ship if i were you id just get a diffrerent rood and hold on to the reel.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Last year, I got a pair of 6500 'Blue Cat' reels from them. The handle got loose on one. I called them and they said to put it back in the box and ship it back to them, at their expense. Within one week, I had a replacement 'Blue Cat' at my door. I have no clue as to what went wrong with your situation, but I recommend Catfish Connection to anyone who is reel shopping. I hope you get your situation rectified quickly and amicably. I'd call back and talk to someone else.

Bill in SC

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know what you are saying man. BUT it was an abu garcia named rod...It wasnt completely nameless. Says abu garcia right on it. And i am less worried about what to do about the rod and what i should do with my business....should i pretend nothing happend? I just honestly want to boycott them myself. But dont know if that seems right and was looking for some input on doing business with them in the future. Treating your customers wrong seems like a poor way to run a business to me...is the customer no longer always right?

6. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    If the rod and reel was bought as two separate items, he should replace the pole bottom line! No questions asked!

I do agree you should pay shipping back to the shop. He is going to pick up the shipping back to you...right?

If this is an Abu Garcia rod and reel combo he receives from the factory as a complete unit. Yes I can understand sending the whole unit(rod and reel) back to the seller, because this is how he bought it.

If you talk to Abu they might take just the pole back. You never know. Be nice and when all else fails......we will bash them on the internet!

Sean

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Be nice and when all else fails......we will bash them on the internet!>

Reps out to ya for this comment!

Bill in SC

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have done business with them several times this year myself although I haven't spent as much money as you guys have. I have been very pleased with the service and what i bought but I haven't had to return anything either. Bottom line is that I think they could of gone a step farther in good customer relations and backed you up. Nothing that happened to the equipment was your fault and the goodwill they would of gotten by word of mouth advertising would more than make up for what they paid for the rod. If I was in your situation I would of been upset too. Sorry this happened to you. Tight lines.

:cool2:

9. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i spend a lot of money every year with them never had a problem but if they hung me out to dry i'd blast them on b.o.c. and never spend another dime with them:eek:oooh:

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    If I was running the company I would tell you to break the rod up into little pieces put it into an envelope and mail it for $1.35, and then send you a replacement rod and a refund for the shipping of $1.35. I have ran into this problem before with other companies. You are doing the right thing by putting this out on the internet and remember to always take the high road in situations like this and we as web readers and consumers will make the decision based on your experiences whether to shop with a company like them. You might as well save up a few bucks and spend the money on an ugly stick ($29.99) with a lifetime warranty. Good luck and at least you broke it on a fish and not in the car door:roll_eyes:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    No, the customer is not always right. They should replace the rod, but if the rod isn't worth the cost of shipping, I don't blame them for not covering that part. You bought it as a combo, so it is standard to return as a combo. You put the line on, if you want to keep it, you should take it off. I do not see anything CC did wrong. They sold you the combo, but ABU holds any guarantee, not them.

I would contact ABU, perhaps they would just send you a new rod.

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    yup i was gunnu say you shouldu just bought a ugly stik and you wouldnt be goin thru all this. matching names on a rod and reel seems like a good thing but reel /ugly stik is the way to go.:big_smile::cool2:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I had my business, I didn't think the customer was always right, but, I'd bend over backwards to help the ones that were... even if it meant losing hundreds of $$. So I can't understand why a business would squabble over a few measly dollars... even if you were wrong (which you were NOT)... it's just stupid business. only ABU would've looked bad - now catfish connection looks even worse.

14. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry you had a bad deal. They have always done right by me, even with returns. But every situation is different. Maybe you gave them too much information about how it happened to where they thought you caused it, vs. bad workmanship/materials. Sounds like the return shipping is all they owe you if you return the combo and they send you another. Time lost sucks but it's not their responsiblity, IMO. Should be less than 2 weeks. They ship fast. However, would you even want another rod like that?

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have slowly read all the comments and your statement that you had about $10.00 in the rod. I can't believe you are fussing about ten dollars. Those rods are junk to start with. Be glad it broke on a small fish and not a trophy cat.I have purchased hundreds of dollars worth of equipment from Catfish Connection and have enjoyed fine products and great service. I totally agree with Tom on this post. CC has done nothing wrong. I would call ABU and quit bad mouthing CC.

16. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys i appreciate all of your opinions. Like most of you said catfish connection has always done fine as a company and up to this point hadnt a complaint BUT i feel pretty burnt. And to answer like four of your guys questions no i dont want that abu rod if the first one broke BUT its just the idea that they didnt want to help me. IT would be different if that was the only product i bought there this year. I feel my business is highly unappreciated. I understand why they need the reel back, i realy do BUT If i am getting boned by having to replace line and pay shipping, i didnt find it fair that i also had to lose the reel for a few weeks also. I do my heaviest flatheading this time of year so why would i of even owned the setup now if im not gonna get to use it this year anyhow. The line i can stand to lose and i didnt have that big of a problem about that till he kinda got snippy with me. I took college economics, i understand the customer isnt always right but making it right with the customer even if you have to lose some is the correct move economically speaking. The owner would rather lose $700 a year than pay 20 to stand behind his product? Helping me out would of made a lifetime customer of me. I wouldve spread the word on here of how well i was treated. He wouldve gained business BUT instead for twenty dollars he is gonna lose atleast mine.I guess my thought is if im doing nothing wrong then why do i get punished with a shipping fee? I understand he didnt technically break the pole BUT he sold it in his reputable business so i figured a business with a reputation had something to lose or gain and he would make it right with a loyal customer. I am pretty sure when they call me back today ill tell them to forget it all. I dont want a new rod, I dont want new line, I dont want shipping paid for, But what i do want is to no longer do business with a company that doesnt value me as a customer. Thanks again for the opinions guys!

17. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    So since CC has been in business you have spent 700 every year with them? NO, just this year, so right now they are not loosing anything, if they loose you they can replace you with several others that spend that much or more. So to them you are just a one time sell. I have ran and managed several business and it is not uncommon for the person to eat the return cost. Alot of times the business will ship out the new unit and then give you a bonus from them, maybe free shipping next order. Did you give the owner time to talk after he said you pay for the shipping or did you loose it right there and not give him time too. As for the line on the reel get a drill and a stick or a pop bottle and wind it up on that if you want to keep it and when the new one come reel spool the reel again. Not being mean or disrepectful to you just kinda letting you know the other side.

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey David... was that 7000i a black one by any chance?

19. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    dave, just save some $ and get urself a quantum big cat 7'6in hvy act. and all ur problems will be over but i know where ur comeing from i was there to wittness it all happen in front of me and i would be pi$$ed to and even thought its a 10$rod as some say i would still want it replaced by them at there cost ...sniper

20. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nah i gave him plenty of time to talk. I didnt demand he gave me exactly what i asked for be any mreans. If he wouldve offered me something for next time like you suggested i wouldve been more than happy cuz it shows he appreciates my business. I wasnt a one time sale either. I have made four orders with him this year. The reason i have never ordered from him in the past was due to the fact i didnt know his business existed. Trust me i am a return customer i wouldve been back again and again...no problem...