Catfish Condo

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Redtick, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I am posting a picture of what I call a "catfish condo" They are called crappie condos on other message boards I post on. What they do is provide structure in areas where none exits. This stucture attracts bait fish which attract catfish. I know a lot of guys that are placing them in key areas of lakes and reservoirs they fish.
    They are very easily made. Just place some wood, brush, or PVC in 5 gallon buckets and then fill the buckets with concrete. To save money, I use 1" rock with sackrete on top of the rocks. After the concrete dries, I place several of these condos in areas near drop offs on points. If you get them placed properly, they will always hold fish including catfish. They are cheap and easy to make. I place them in various areas so some of them will be in areas I can fish regardless of the wind direction and speed.
    Check you local laws to see if they are legal to place in your lake.

Attached Files:

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Looks like a great idea there let us know how well they work.

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Looks real good. Is it hard to make them stand up when placing them?

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    looks like a great idea and it will work. Thanks for the pic

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Gator, they work really well.
    Rockjumper. usually the weight in the bottom keeps them upright. You can control this by having them in an upright position when you let them go. Plus, the wood tends to try to float while the concrete sinks first.
    I failed to mention you want to put a waypoint on your GPS system so you can find them again.
    The crappie fishermen are really gung ho on putting these condos out. But, they attract catfish also. Anyone who knows catfish, knows that they hold around stucture. Putting out you own structure improves your catfishing oportunities. I personally keep my brush piles private but some fellows will post their waypoints on their brushpiles so everyone can fish them.

6. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    So THATS what I keep getting hung up on when I am drifting Dave lol.;)

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have seen something close to that made of PVC. I have heard that they work well.

8. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Chuck, are you going to curse me everytime you get hung up?:cool:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I bet if that was PVC pipe sticking out it would be a lot harder to get snagged on. Due to the shape it looks like your hook would slide right off it is was PVC, of course that would add to the cost.

10. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i saw something like that at gander mnt. made of pvc with bill dance name on it for $38. i could make one for 5. lol

11. Gnarlystaff

Gnarlystaff New Member

State:
    California
    this is a great idea, ill have to try some out.

12. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I think I'm going to try it also. If the law will allow. Welcome to the BOC Gnarly.