Catfish Communication - Catch-N-Release

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ronnycl, Jul 30, 2006.

1. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    Just wondering what thoughts are regarding catfishing communicating with one another when praticing catch n release. Do you think they can alert others in the area??? Sounds crazy when you think about it....do you release in the area or wait until you are done fishing the area?

2. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    i always release the fish on opposite side of boat I'm fishing..specally if I'm fishing shallow water..

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    LOL. No I've never done that, and it hasnt stopped the fish from biting.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I once read a report about this. the dnr said that fish releas a hormone when caught or stressed that warns other fish in the area. I don't know but it seems tha tafter a while i end up fishing farther away from where i started. especially in lakes . Not so much in running water.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I know they will give warning that theres danger but it dont always make the other fish not bite.We caught 27 blues from 4 to 36lbs yesterday in just two spots and we released everyone as we caught them and the bite never slowed.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 2 live wells on my boat and can keep over 100 pounds of fish alive. I use my livewells and release my fish after fishing. Somestimes I release at the catch site when I'm ready to leave.
    Catfish can send different signs to theit counterparts if nothing else I believe other fish can feel that their friend is stressed and asume something in the area is wrong.
    I also believe this condition is overcome when the amount of fish we are talking about rises to extreams, in these cases dozens of fish in one spot are their for a reason and excitment is already part of the group and therefore not seen as out of place.
    I Have never caught really big fish, 50 pounds or bigger but I believe these fish are not likely to be in big groups but smaller numbers like 2,3 or 5 or maybe half dozen, in any case biger fish should feel more asured of themselfs and go back to what really big fis do and that is lie around waiting for food to come by. I do think the act of catching really big fish would distrube smaller fish.

These are just my thoughts, I have fished all my life but this is my second year after the great catfish.

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    During the fight, fish definitely do release singals of distress. I have observed barracuda that have attacked red snappers we had caught on the way to the surface. The distress singal the fish releases also has been proven to attract sharks as well.

Now after the fact, when you release the fish, I dont believe, or havnt seen any evidence to conclude that the fish continue to "warn" or anything of that nature. Ive fished the same area over and over cuaght and released fish, and it didnt seem to effect the bite at all.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've heard that the fish can sense a fish in distress. In my opinion when you realease the fish, it is no longer in distress. When you're reeling in the fish it's in distress and it might put the others on their toes, but when you release it im sure everything is fine by then...At least - thats what I've heard and follow...

9. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Bro,Iv ashed myself that meny time's.????????????????:crazy: