Catfish-Commando

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MUDHOLE KID, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Paul,I looked at your profile and seen your primary waters are the Altamaha River.I've been wanting to get down there for years and can make myself go.Is it as good as they say?and if I ever do start that way could you give me so good lodging info and the best ramp locations.I have all the info I could get from GA DNR, but I'll be at a lost for a so-so place to stay close to the river.I've got to get down there.I've heard June,July,whats best.Yeah I'll be hunt'in faltheads. :D

2. Warhead Garcia

Warhead Garcia New Member

State:
    Shawnee Ohio 43782
    Are you aware that the catfish commando is on his way back to Iraq today :sad:

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    My thoughts and prayers are with him. I admire people that will fight for our country. I know he will make it back safe to fish another day!!

-Later

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    No I wasn't.Commandos is in our prayers and thoughts.Thanks men I must have missed it in an earlier post.I'll be glad when Our Families Can Come Home

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

:sad: I guess none of us were aware of this.PAUL you will be in our prayers,
    GOOD LUCK ,GIVE THEM HELL it seems to me that it is where they want to
    go.Be Safe and GOD BLESS.

6. Warhead Garcia

Warhead Garcia New Member

State:
    Shawnee Ohio 43782
    I found that out on the B.O.C. calendar Page. I don't know him or anything :sad: . Warhead

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Gents,

I do get access to a computer while in country in the early morning hours, and the late evening hours on occasion.

Joey,

There isn’t any wrong time to go, the biggest limiting factor is recent weather trends which may contribute to flooding conditions, which makes the river swell and the risk factor increases accordingly.

As the water rises, fishing, especially targeted fishing for flatheads becomes less productive, as it allows access to the bordering swamp areas, which are primarily unreachable by a normal water craft.

Biggest payoffs are the dog days of summer, when the river is well within its banks, and deep holes are more easily identified and targeted. This of course allows you to maximize your fishing time targeting key areas of interest.

Day time hole running with the employment of a limb-line strategy at night will ensure the highest payoff. A combination of techniques will not only allow you to attain your goals, but also doubles as a sampling standard to cover larger areas of river, and fine tune your target strategy for day time fishing.

The walls of Jay C landing are plastered with the faces of sun-burnt flathead catfishermen with grins from ear to ear struggling to hold up their nights catch.

Catch and release has not taken hold in the area, but the fishery although down from previous years, is still sure to please.

Rated as one of the best flathead catfish locations in the United States, it’s a win-win situation for the catfish angler, regardless of the results.

Bream in the river are steroid size football players, and at night migrating herring jumping out of the water is a site to see.

As for a location to stay, if timed right you have a place, let’s sink our calendars for a future date, and go dangle some bream, and drag some bluegills thru some holes, and see what decides to eat.

Thanks,

Paul

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Thanks Paul.
    All that info is a great help and maybe one day I"ll be one of those sun-burnt fishermen at the dock smiling from ear to ear.Thanks again,Be safe :D

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    joey i have wanted to fish there myself but cant make myself go that far to fish a river i have never seen.the odds arent in my favor to get a good fish. unless luck would be on my side. prob. would take acouple of trips to finds some good holes.