Catfish Canoe

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bro_catfish, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Today I secured a 17 ft or so Aluminum canoe, at first I was thinking of the kids and how much fun this would be without spending tons of money. and then of course my redneck catfishing mind kicked in and started thinking about what I also could do with it
    1. I could find all the spots on our small river
    2. I could get to nice bank spots on the lakes
    but how safe would it be to set Jugs or trot lines?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    not safe at all unless you have a lot of canoe experience! jugs maybe, but trotts? thats asking for trouble!

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would look around for a jon boat ,but a canoe is a bad idea.:sad:

4. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    What about if I installed some of thoes outriggers ?
    And the only reason I have it and not a Jon is because I collected on a past due debt :craf-big:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those outriggers would make it a lot more stable but i wouldnt go through any swift water with them on.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    sell the canoe and buy a little jon boat. A jon will make a much better platform for catfishing and setting lines.

Maybe it's just me but, I don't want a 50lb P.O.ed flathead in a canoe with Me. Canoes are fine for many other kinds of fishing. i've caught lots af bass & crappie from a canoe. but I feel the catfish get way too big to battle in a canoe!

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a 12 ft.square stern fiberglass,and a 17 ft.aluminum canoe.They have their place and uses,just like the 6 other boats that I have collected over the years.You are going to get wet in all boats,sooner or later.Just sooner in a canoe.Just plan on it all the time,and you will be O.K.The very low beach chairs are great in a canoe,if you can use them.They keep your center of gravity very low,and make it harder to turn over.Wear a life preserver and tie all your gear off,so that you won;t lose it when you turn over.When being overtaken by a power boat,STOP.This lets the power boat pass you slow enough to greatly reduce the wake,if it will.peewee-williams

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if a boat ever passes you turn your canoe into the wake, those wakes will flip a canoe very easily!

9. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    I am a very experineced canoe and kayaker and its is tough to fish from either. I run a trot line or two every winter from my canoe and its a hairy situation trying to haul in a big fish. I winter fish mainly stump rows in 3 to 4 feet of water and i have swamped more than a few times,lol. If you plan to kill a big fish its not so bad but lets leave those giants for anothor day. I have 2 lines out tonight that i will be running at daylight in the morning and i expect a couple fish at least 30 lb. or more. Ill hand my camera off to a neighbor who always meets me in his canoe to watch and maybe i'll get some pics to show how hard it can be.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I made the mistake of buying a new canoe last year, no way did I feel safe on it, it was a big mistake and I no longer have it.

11. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive got a trolling motor on my canoe, thats how i get up and down the river. just sets some weights in the front to settle weight.

12. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Anybody ever try a scanoe? I got one that I am going to use on the trout lakes this summer. I always catfish from the shore, so no worries for me.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Rather than a scanoe, look up Sportpal canoes on the web. Wide of beam, lighter than a jon boat, stable. Sportpal canoes come in both square stern and double ended. They are filled with closed cell floatation and you can get them with sponsons. As for stability, I've not found a canoe any less stable then a 12 or 14 ft jon boat...plenty fall out of those too.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I agree canoes aren't the most stable boats in the world for fishing. I do think it's possible to fish for Catfish out of a canoe though... Run a trotline? NAh i wouldn't try it unless it were on a river that doesn't have larger fish and i was just going for eaters...

Now i fish out of my canoe that i got this year and its been stable enough to land fish in... If i caught anything over 10 lbs, i'd try and work my way to a beachable area to park the canoe on and fight the fish from land.

I haven't tried drift fishing out of it yet but as soon as the weather warms up a little i'm going to head out on the water and drift for some Blues on the ressy by me.

15. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Hey thanks everyone for the responces
    Id like to get a john boat this year , but this is what I have to deal with for now..Like I said I mostly got it for me and the kids to go down the river/streams
    I think it will work nice to get to bank spots, that the bank bound angler cant reach

16. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    id say useing a canoe for running jugs and trotlines wouldnt work. lot of leaning over and pulling up fish and weights. if i had a canoe id only use it on small rivers and creeks. what if you took your kids out across a big lake and a bad storm with high winds moves in? i sure wouldnt think it would be safe at all. best that you get a john boat not the best boat but way more stable still wouldnt take it out on a big lake though

17. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    A friend I fished for several years in the monterey bay for rockfish in a canoe with a pvc outrigger and a outboard! We caught a lot of fish and had some good times with that boat! Of course we kept an eye on the conditions and there were times when we decided not to go out! I am older now and like a little more comfort and to be abel to stretch my legs, but with common sense a canoe is fine for some conditions!

18. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I have a Sportspal Canoe square end and find it very stable, but I only use it when I'm perch jerking. I'm a large guy and have put a swivel seat on my Sportspal which works great and is more comfortable to sit on. I always use my 16 foot jon boat when catfishing.

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Canoes are used all the time on big lakes. I've been out when waves started whitecapping and felt as safe in it as I did my 12 foot deep and wide flat bottom, maybe safer. Most people fall out of canoes doing stupid things, like leaning over too far. On fellow I saw running a trot line in a canoe would paddle to the middle of the line...had a float attached there, pull it up and paddle under the line and work the line that way, not much leaning. Like with all boats, its usually not the boat, but the driver that's at fault. With canoes, a lot depends on its design as to its stability. Whitewater canoes usually aren't as stable as those designed for flat water. Even there, you get a lot of variance, both with shape of the bottom and width. Given a choice of bank fishing or fishing from a canoe, its no contest on many waters, take the canoe. If you want stability and don't mind getting wet, get a float tube.

20. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've rod and reel fished out of a canoe. Like the others said, if you're careful and keep a low center of gravity you should be fine. I woulnd't mess around with trotlines though.

They do make canoe stabilizers you can attach also...

shawn