Catfish "Bush" Bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fire-Man, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK, I want to see if any of you has a Proven Bait I can get to put on my Set-Hooks(Tied on bushes/limbs). I Have read the bait forums, but just wanted some Fresh info. --------Where I fish is running water and I tie my Hooks mainly in the hardest running water. We can use Live Bream, but thats my problem---If I decide tonight to go set some hooks---I might not be able to catch some bream or enough to set many hooks. So I was thinking if any of you had something that WORKS I could use for bait that I could have -----Say Frozen till I got ready to go fishing--Then If I didn't catch enough bream to bait my Hooks-----I could pull some bait out the freezer to use. It would have to be kinda tough to stay together in the running water. It would also need to be where it would attract the BIG Ones Like the live bream. Got any Idea's-------I am taking my son tomorrow night----hadn't caught many live bream yet. Thanks Randy

2. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you can always trie some cut bait it seems to catch a few

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

cut bait, live minnows, shiners, shrimp and so all would be worth trying. Oh yeah soap bait might do you some good also i.e Zote

4. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    fire man,
    when i lived in texas we used salted pork, which is just the scrap ends of the bacon. it generally comes in a box and it is pretty cheap. we had a lot of luck. i remember one time we set it out over night and when we got to it by morning there we hooks missing, bent you name it was done but we still managed to get some cats off of it. hope this works for you.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think they call it fat-back in SC

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Everyone!! I caught enough bait this time for my hooks---------My Son had a BALL--he caught about half of the bait fish on a bream buster. We caught 3 catfish---the largest was 24lb. He was so excited to see that big cat snatching on that bush and when I pulled it in. Thanks again. I will try some of these Idea's the next trip. Randy

7. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We normally have no trouble in catching bait here. Try my method on shoals or shady banks of a stream . This also works on ponds too. We take a long limber pole , one used for pan fishing . Use the lightest line you have ,we use 4lb test. Tie on a real small hook , we use a long shank #10 wire hook. For bait cut fat bacon into 1/8'' squares . Fish this around rocks ,wood, or just shadey spots. We tear up the small bream and such. I caught enough to bait over 60 hooks in less than a couple hours yesterday.
    We have a 55 gallon plastic barrel cut in half. We drilled a pair of holes in each side near the top. Then put a rope handle in each pair of holes . Just put rope through hole and knot ends makes great handles. This is our portable bait tank. If it's hot we put in a air pump and some ice to keep bait lively.
    Hope this gives you some ideas. My 2 cents is nothing beats live bait for big cats .Good luck fishing.