Catfish Burping Truth or Tale ???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brian88b, Oct 29, 2009.

1. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I have heard from several sources there are even videos on you tube on the subject. That when catching "large" "Hawgs" and they are drug up from the bottoms pretty fast that when released they will swim off and seem to be fine but only to die later. Something to do with the air bladder and change in pressure from bringing them up so quickly from deep water. Take a small PVC pipe a couple feet long and gently push down the hatch and into the stomach and the fish will actually "BURP" out the PVC pipe sounds just like you or me belching. And supposedly this "saves" the fishes lives. I was just curious as to how much truth there is to this and are there any of us who practice this method ??? Just looking into because what good is CPR of Huge Old Catfish if we are releasing them only to die later. And we all want to keep the big boys alive. So any thoughts on this subject.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It's true. We've had big, lethargic fish in the live well. Burp 'em and they come right alive!! They don't have to come from really deep water to be burped either.

Bill in SC

3. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    So Bill in your opinion should we burp every "large" cat we catch before release ???

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Bill on this post. It does not take long to do it so why not.

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    if someone does'nt know what they're doing could'nt they do more damage than good?just wondering.:sad2:

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Generally I don't like to burp them with the pvc. If I'm fishing deeper waters I'll try to bring them up slowly, most times bringing them up slowly will do the trick, you will most times see the bubbles come to the surface when they burp. If one does come up that needs burped you can usually move the fish around, while putting slight pressure on it's belly to get the job done.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's definitely true, but in my experience with blue cats in depends on how deep they were caught and how fast you bring 'em up. Usually if I catch a blue from around 40 ft. or deeper it will need burped. I don't use PVC, I pretty much do what Pip says in the previous post. The deeper the fish are, the more pressure from the water on their body. As you bring them to the surface, the rapid change from the high pressure at the bottom to the lower pressure at the surface causes the air in the swim bladder to expand into their stomach. That's why they need to burp and why they might not be able to swim properly or descend if they don't burp.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Yep, bring 'em up slow if you're fishing deep. That usually takes care of it. If there is a need for them to "burp" it usually happens as we are netting, unhooking or weighing the fish. I have heard some long, deep "burps" too!

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa

..... And some of those smells from those burps are just plain nasty too. a bottle of Scope or Listermint would go along way.:smile2:

10. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    If you do use a piece of PVC, make sure you smooth the edges after you cut it. Also, be sure you don't point the end of the pipe at your face when the fish burbs or you may get a face full of...

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I think when you rip them out of deep water, they burp.

I know I had a couple flatheads burp on me this past year, and man, it STINKS!:angry:

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've done it with the PVC before.
    I remember the first time I did, I had my face right on the end of the PvC to see what I'm doing, and the smell really got to me when he let out. :big_smile::smile2:

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have never heard this before...btu i dotn fish much deep water..or when i do i dotn catch em..just brake rods :smile2:

14. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Wow is that what that smell is? :crazy: My 62 I caught and my friends 46, man their breathe stank so bad, especially that 62. I didnt burp them on purpose just holding them and then when I was threw holding them and grab them by the mouth I would smell a wicked smell lol. I thought they were dying or something lol. Well I've never burped a big fish but I will now. I usually fight the big ones for a while so maybe they were good. My friends 46 was in 13 ft of water so im sure he was good, my 62 was in 30 ft. I have caught numerous fish 20-36 lBs in 20-40 ft of water and never burped them, hope they were ok

15. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    will bean-o work.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You don't need to burp all fish, and never ever burp a fish by popping it's air bladder with a needle.

Out of all the fish I've ever caught, I've released one that needed burpring.....I saw it couldn't dive back down after I released it....so I went to track him down so I could burp it, but by that time he had already relieved the pressure and had gone below. This fish was caught in 60ft of water and I brought him up fast.

No need to ram a piece of PVC down their throats if they don't need a burping.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

My thinking also.I,ve never had one that couldn,t swim away on its own because of coming up from too deep.I also don,t fish deeper than about 40 ft for the most part either.Seems to me also that you,d be opening the fish up for a lot more problems by puttin the pvc down(infections,gill injuries,etc.).:wink: