Catfish breaking your line?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Mac-b, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't claim to be an expert on this subject but, I would like to offer a suggestion to those that have their line broken by a fish. There are several things that causes this problem. First is that the first 14 or 16 feet of your line is damaged. Second is that a small cat has nicked your shock leader. Third is that your drag is catching. Last is that you have old line. Here is what you can do to avoid all these situations: (1) Each time before you go fishing, remove all the line from the reel opening to the tip. Then retie your new shock leader to the fishing line. (2) Each time you catch a small cat, check your shock leader to be sure that it does not have a nick in it. If it does, replace your shock leader. (3) When you get home from fishing, back your star drag off to where you have no drag, then store your equipment. (4) Replace your line at least once a year. Also, your should put one or two drops of oil in your reel every two or three months and grease your level wind at the same time if you are using a bait caster. Try these suggestions and you will never regret doing so.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats some great info right there! Everybody that fishes should do that,it'll make a big difference on whether or not you get the big fish in or not! Reps for the great post Bro!

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thanks for the very important information. Reps to you brother!

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good post and good advice, I would add one more possible source of breakage, though -

(5) bad knots.

A poorly tied knot (especially in old line, which is more brittle) will severly weaken the line. A bad knot in 50 pound test can cause the line to break (at the knot, of course) at as little as 10 pounds! Also, the heavier your line is the harder it becomes to tie really good (95% or better) knots. Fortunately the higher breaking strength of the line helps to offset this problem.

You don't have to know a bunch of different types of knots, but make sure that the ones that you do use are good and strong. I use usually either a palomar or a snell to attach hooks, swivels, etc. Another good knot to know is the Uni-knot system which can be used to tie on a hook, snell, make a loop knot, or join two lines.

When my knots are right, I have a very hard time breaking off my 15 pound test once snagged. Test your knots after tieing. If you are working with anything over 20 pound line, you basically should not be able to break it without gloves or a towel wrapped around your hand, and a heck of a lot of work. Anything over 50, you shouldn't be able to break at all! (Without a running start or using it lift yourself off the ground...)

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    AwShucks, until they get a catfish in Oklahoma big enough to break 20 lb test, thats one worry I don't have. LOL

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mac thats great advice. I totally agree. Most of the time the problem lies with the fisherman and not the line. Thanks for sharing with the BOC.:lol: :big_smile:

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    great advice bro. thank you.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Here is another suggestion! I use mono line because it stretches. I want my line to stretch and give if a fish runs or soemthing. Also, be very careful with a big fish that is close to the boat because there is not much line out to stretch and more of a chance of him breaking it. 20 lb. line is a lot stronger than 20 lb. expecially when underwater and when you have a lot of line out. I've leaned on fish so hard before that I knw my line would break, but it wouldn't. I also would use good line. Ande line is good for the money as well as Tight Line by Bass Pro. I use both and have no complaints. Berkely big game line is to stiff for me though. I also use anywhere from 30 lb. to 40 lb. shock leader. Like Mac said, check it for nicks because them little boogers will roll up your line and nick it bigtime.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Good post about line breakoffs.

Check the guides to see if they are cracked or grooved.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just make sure all my gear is unbreakable and I haven't had any problems. I tend to use gear that would land the biggest wels cats for all my catfishing, that way they all come to the boat.

11. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    david, i guess i`m all 3. i read i observe, and yes ... I PEE`D on the wire.
    thanks for all the info brothers .
    i should have read this earlier. sat nite had a big one? on 30#line on the neuse that banged my knuckles on the side of my boat, after holding it
    for about 15 min`s it got tired of me and my sticking drag {DIAWA MILLIANARE} and went home. the reel know gets that much needed cleaning.
    thanks a million chris.

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I also get into the practice after landing a large or otherwise hard fighting fish of stripping a few feet of the stretched line off the reel before baiting back up.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I myself use oil on the levelwind because stuff sticks to grease and that aint good.

14. richinchrist1022

richinchrist1022 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Great innformation about the line. I will start checking my line better before casting. Everyone knows the feeling of losing "the big one" and if I can make my chances better, then I will. Thanks for that post.:tounge_out:

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Mac, that is great info buddy, as is everything else that's been shared on this thread. Only thing I can add is this......SOMETIMES that line you get at a good discount at... YOU KNOW WHERE... is ALREADY old. So be aware :smile2:.

16. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    VERY INFORMATIVE POST.THANKS FOR THE HELP.LOL

17. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice reminder.
    Thanks
    Larry

18. Robert4361

Robert4361 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thanks for the helpful tips, will try them

19. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    another tip is when just reeling in to check bait or such let the line come in across your fingers, that way you'll know where the nics are and how much you need to strip off.