catfish boats

Discussion in 'Boating' started by primitivefrn, Jan 31, 2009.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of a fiberglass versus?, aluminum,
    also what hull style gives the driest ride .
    Have never owned a fiberglass boat,have owned to many aluminum Jon's,.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I personally am kind of fond of the way aluminum gives when it comes into contact with something a lot more stout than it is... Like, say, a bridge pillar. :eek:oooh:

Fiberglass doesn't give. It shreds.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One advantage of fiberglass over aluminum is 'touch'. ???? Aluminum gets very hot out in the sun when it's +90 degrees; fiberglass doesn't get nearly so hot. I've had to pour water on an aluminum boat seat before I could stand to sit on it. Fiberglass damages easier than aluminum, but it also is easier to repair.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    fiberglass boats are quieter, cooler, smoother (going over stumps and such), and has a better ride with less JOLTS
    they are also heavier and more expensive, plus they "fade" and get brittle in not taken care of
    alum is lighter, cheaper, and IMO easier to repair and work on. U can use less motor and get more results out of a metal boat
    the downside is that the light boat needs a much deeper V to make the ride bearable. if you are a stump fisherman like I am, a alum boat can get hung up on a stump easier than a slick glass boat. The walls and floors of alum boat can be extremely loud either from waves, boots, or fishing gear.
    I personally like both, they each have diff applications for me. Small water in small boat ALUM Big water or places where i dont have to go less than 12" deep Fiberglass

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it depends on what you can afford and what the application is. In my application I need an aluminum because of the shallow water in the summer. But if I could fish deeep water all the time I would go with fiberglass.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Good info here guys.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The jon boats performance all around Vs a fiber glass---you wont see me in nuttin that aint flatt er metal:wink: You cannot beat a fat flatt bottom specialey fer fishin:smile2:

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    oh, ur not gonna get any argument from me there. I have the best of both worlds though. 24' FIBERGLASS flatbottom. I would be really interested to ride in 24' metal flatbottom to see if its as smooth.

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Jim
    Dont overlook the triumphs. Made of plastic has advantages of both. Shoot me a pm if you want more details.
    Lindsay

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Lindsay,
    Thanks for reply, I'm, not looking to buy, at this time, But Trumph, boat are, most impressive, Would like to hear reports of, people who owen are use them, to see if their as tough as, they say. like layout of them.
    Do you own one.
    Thanks again
    Jim

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't like fiberglass for fishing stumpy areas. I've seen stumps knock holes in fiberglass boats; I take my aluminum jonboat 4-wheelin' over stumps. I do my best to stay off them, but when I feel the boat going up on one where it's liable to get stuck, I hit the throttle and power on over it. Feels like you're tipping a lot more than you really are.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Fiberglass boats tend to ride a little nicer because of their weight.....other than that, i like aluminum. Oh yeah, you hafta be a lot more careful with aluminum boats if you leave it at a dock (long term). If the electric aint wired right, it can eat your boat with electrolosis just from sitting in the water.

13. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    yeah i have a Triumph 19'. I am not advocating one boat over another because all have their advantages.disadvantages but i love mine.

Attached Files:

14. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just bought a Crestliner CXJ 1870 welded aluminum jon boat. Took it out for the first time this weekend and all I can say is WOW. It handles rough water great, planes out fast, and is stable to fish out of. So, for fishing I'm still a big fan of the aluminum boats but I think the design of the hull has alot to do with how well they ride and handle. I was hitting some choppy wind blown water and really didnt even notice it compared to my old 14 footer. If you're going to buy a new boat I recommend looking at a few different ones and then research them online to see what others have to say. Chris

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    This is a good post and alot of informed information both pro and con.with that said I have owned both.I fish the Missouri River here in Iowa and that sucker flows Fast and at times there is quite a bit of trash and large logs especially after a big rain.and at night or early morning when it is foggy you can't see very far in any direction.I fish out of an 18ft.Lund Alaskan true V bottom and that baby is heavy and has a doubble riveted hull,Super Smothe Ride and handles big water.I have hit submerged logs and stumps and it has done me proud and Always brought me back to thr ramp safe and sound,of course in harsh conditions i am not running all out either you have to use common sence also. But I love My Lund,they are a little more expensive from the get go but they hold there value well and super safe to fish out of.JMHO.Tight Lines Brothers,and have a safe year on the water.Your Friend and BOC Brother,J.D.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The trip tab on your outboard motor is also a sacrificial anode, meaning that it will be eaten away before your boat hull starts being eaten away. You need to check your trim tab at least once a year.

17. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A stump or rock can punch a hole in fiberglass. Almost sunk one this way half mile from the landing. Aluminum will likely just bounce off with nothing more than a dent. Aluminum may not be pretty, but it's tough.

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Aluminum may not be pretty, but it's tough.

amen brother for my fishing style catfishing , crappie fishing in timber and shallow water ,

I love aluminum boats have had 5 different boats in the last 30 years or so .

fiber glass boats are NOT for ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and when i go with friends that had 1 didnt take long to remember why i hatted them !!! lol they say we cant do that might scratch the boat :eek:oooh::crazy: or we cant go the bank rocks will hit the bottom :eek:oooh::crazy: and my favorite watch that fish i dont want him to bleed on the carpet . lmao

if ya cant use a boat the way you want and need to ,to catch fish well sell the dam thing and GET a ALUMINUM boat !!!!!!!!

ya ever wonder how many times ya see pretty boys with purdy boats and never see them catching much ????

I see that alot ..

im not trying to put any one down please dont take it that way ,...!!!!

all im saying this is what ive been threw and seen . and fiber glass is not for me on the waters i fish .

but if i was at different places fishing different ways then i do , A fiber glass boat may be a better choice .

I mostly catfish on truman lake , lake of the ozarks ( osage river ) and a few smaller lakes . in missouri

19. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we catfish out of an 96model 19ft. lowe roughneck, its a flat bottom and its beat up but we fish stumps and areas with logs in as shallow as 2ft. this alum. boat has an adventage in these areas but the disadvantage is when the lake is rough we get beat up also,this rig will take the rough water fine if you can stand the beating, frog togs are a must this time of year with water 38 degrees, this boat is better suited for river fishing or summer lake fishing. our next will be alum. but longer and wider. for winter lake fishing in winter cold , windy months bigger is better

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I agree